What are the best food destinations, landmarks, museums, statues in the USA?

Like the Burnt Food Museum in Arlington, MA and this 15-foot-fork with pasta in Nebraska? http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/46983

Tell me your tips! Any and all are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

scruz
scruz August 3, 2016

i like some of the old restaurants in s.f. tadich grill has been a favorite of ours and is the oldest restaurant in california. john's grill has a replica of the maltese falcon.

Amanda Gibson
Amanda Gibson August 3, 2016

Mammy's Cupboard in Natchez, MS is otherworldly.

PHIL
PHIL August 4, 2016

I can only think of old restaurants that I have been to like Fraunce's Tavern , Peter Lugers ( Brooklyn of course), Rao's . Does Hershey park count Ha?!

creamtea August 4, 2016

I posted this recently somewhere else, but the Corn Palace in South Dakota is fun! Re-designed each year. It's amazing what you can do with corn! :)

pierino August 4, 2016

It's too bad Copia no longer exists. It was a museum dedicated to food and the memory of Julia Child. Her own pots hung on pegboard there.
I agree with Scruz on Tadich Grill in San Francisco---it's the oldest restaurant in the city. John's Grill though is nothing more than a tourist trap now. In 2002 Ten Speed published a history of Tadich. It's not a cookbook but it does include recipes.
Chez Panisse in Berkeley was the birthplace of California cuisine---although others blame Wolfgang Puck and Ma Maison (gone) for that. In my opinion the best restaurant in America is the French Laundry. To his credit Thomas Keller seems to have stopped caring about Michelin stars and is dedicated to the art of the table. Michael Ruhlman has become the Boswell to Keller's Samuel Johnson.
L.A. the original Phillipe's is still in business downtown. It's the place where the French dip sandwich was invented. Coffee is still a dime.
Another of my favorite spots is the Napoleon House in New Orleans. It's in a building which as local lore holds was intended for Napoleon's exile. He died on Elba instead.
This should be an interesting thread.

PHIL
PHIL August 4, 2016

Are you in SAn Fran? I was there in October, drove up to Bodega and ate at Terrapin cafe. I think the owners are from LA of SF

pierino August 4, 2016

Not in SF although I spent this past weekend there. I'm almost exactly half way between LA and SF on the Central Coast/Salinas Valley.

pierino August 4, 2016

And speaking of SF, how we can we forget the iconic Ferry Building. The ferries still leave from there but the hall itself and the outside front is now a wall to wall food emporium. Cowgirl Creamery has a location there as does Boccalone. It's also home to San Francisco's best Vietnamese restaurant, The Slanted Door. Unfortunately Sinbad's is gone from the east side of the building (a Tony Bourdain stop for CNN).

BerryBaby August 5, 2016

Lived in the Bay Area for years and never saw all the sites. Worked in the financial district, what a treat it was to go to work everyday. Loved it!

BerryBaby August 8, 2016

Lived in San Francisco in the 70's now in Portland OR and great food mecca!

MMH
MMH August 4, 2016

Union Oyster House in Boston - America's oldest restaurant

pierino August 4, 2016

Another LA landmark and an example of programmatic architecture is Randy's Donuts at Manchester and La Cienega near LAX. It's the 32 foot high donut sculpture. Unfortunately the Brown Derby no longer exists in its original location---they moved the derby to Hollywood but it's not the same. Unfortunately LA has been mostly wiped clean of the Googie style architecture it was known for in the 50's. Now they have strip malls and gallerias. In N' Out Burger may be as iconic as it gets.

pierino August 4, 2016

Here's another one; it's the season for Hatch chili peppers in New Mexico. When they are roasting them out in the open as they do, it fills the atmosphere with a divine aroma. But go there now.

MMH
MMH August 4, 2016

City Tavern in Philadelphia - est 1773

MMH
MMH August 4, 2016

Chicago - Billy Goat Tavern

BerryBaby August 8, 2016

Back in the day (1969) Billy (he was quite old then with his Billy goat beard) would stand by the front entrance with his cane. When the ladies would come in he would flip their skirts with the cane and everyone would laugh. I was one of them and you knew what to expect when you'd go there. The line was always long and the yelling was just as they portrayed on Saturday Night Live, "Cheeseburger, cheeseburger, cheeseburger!" It was a great place and never a dull moment. Couldn't get away with that in today's world. Those were different times.

Windischgirl
Windischgirl August 4, 2016

I've been to Reading Terminal Market in Philly and The Broadway Market in Buffalo, NY...I'm thinking any indoor market in a big city gives you a slice of life and foodways of that place. In Philly, it's the stalls of Amish farmers, in Buffalo, it's the Polish and German butchers and the madhouse that occurs in the week leading up to Easter.
We had the most amazing stroll through the Farmer's Market in Kusadasi, Turkey a couple of years ago....I can still picture the vivid colors of the produce and the suntanned faces of the vendors. Unforgettable.

BerryBaby August 5, 2016

Oregon Wine Country is gorgeous. Located within the wine country are two of my favorite destinations, the Trappist Abbey in Lafayette, Oregon where the Monks make incredible fruitcake, and the Brigittine Monastery in Amity, OR who make amazing fudge. Both are beautiful places to visit and so tranquil with lovely grounds that surround them.

PHIL
PHIL August 5, 2016

BB, what is that famous market in Seattle or Portland I think? I have never been there but seen it on TV

pierino August 5, 2016

The one where they throw the fish around? That's Pike Place Market in Seattle. I was there just a few weeks ago. They don't sell the fish they throw, that's just for showing off. You don't treat Copper River salmon that way.

As to Portland aren't the monks famous for bottling 100% gluten free spring water too?

BerryBaby August 5, 2016

Maybe the Monks do this in other parts of the country but I only know of the confectionery treats and the Trappist Monks offer assistance with labeling wine and other services.

Pike Place Market is a fun place. I enjoy the original (lst) Starbucks, which is across the street from Pike Place with the wooden old floors.

PHIL
PHIL August 5, 2016

Yes, Pierino, that's the one.

Stephanie
Stephanie August 5, 2016

In the Denver area, the Buckhorn is famous for their variety of game meats on the menu (snake, yak, etc., and yes you can get Rocky Mountain Oysters too) and on the walls (stuffed and mounted) - also, bit of trivia, they possess Colorado's first liquor license.

PHIL
PHIL August 5, 2016

you got me cv , I guess that will be a different thread

MMH
MMH August 5, 2016

Kansas City - Arthur Bryant's & gates bbq

Sam1148 August 6, 2016

The SPAM museum. http://www.spam.com/museum
Hershey, PA: the Factory, the amusement park and chocolate tour.

pierino August 6, 2016

Another L.A. classic is the original El Cholo which goes back to 1927 (when Mexican food was still referred to as "Spanish"). It's essentially Cal-Mex but up to a higher standard.

pierino August 6, 2016

Susan W August 6, 2016

French Laundry, Pikes Market in Seattle (don't let the flying fish gimmick fool you), Cardini's Tijuana (parents took me there for my 16th birthday for my first Caesar salad).

BerryBaby August 7, 2016

Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco for fresh crab!

pierino August 7, 2016

Unfortunately Fisherman's Wharf is to San Francisco what Hollywood Blvd is to LA. It's the biggest tourist magnet in town. Very little of it interesting or in good taste. The real food scene is now to the east in the historic Ferry Building. Some very cool street cars do run along the Embarcadero when your tolerance for buskers at Fisherman's Wharf evaporates. There's your escape route.

BerryBaby August 8, 2016

OK, just fresh crab on the west coast. Fisherman's Wharf was my favorite place back in the 70's when we lived there. I know, places change, but the memories don't.

Annie stader
Annie stader August 8, 2016

I love The 76 House in Tappan, NY. This is where Major Andre, the revolutionary war traitor/accomplice to Benedict Arnold ,was tried. It is such a lovely old building and in great shape.
We went there many times when I was a child and it always seemed so "historic". It really left an impression on this little girl.
You can go up the road aways and see the site where he was hanged. There is a small monument right in the middle of a neighborhood culdesac!

PHIL
PHIL August 8, 2016

That is 5 minutes from my house. there are many historic houses around there. The food is very good there also.

caninechef
caninechef August 9, 2016

I thought of this also but then considered it maybe more historic than foodie. I spent a good part of my childhood being toted to relatives in Old Tappan and the surroundings.

Droplet
Droplet August 9, 2016

The Spoonbridge and Cherry sculpture in Minneapolis, MN. http://www.walkerart.org/collections/artworks/spoonbridge-and-cherry