🔕 🔔

best food and wine destination

asked by Magoo over 5 years ago

Without hesitation, I say: NAPA VALLEY, CALIFORNIA - home of some of the finest restaurants in the world ... soul satisfying food and wine, locally grown organic produce in sublime scenery - settings of natural beauty and weather that is generally cool and dry. This is culinary heaven!

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

Yes!

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

For me, as a food lover and vegan, Jamaica. Every town has a vegan (Ital) restaurant and every other restaurant has vegan options. For example, our B&B offered scrambled ackees and callaloo (savory tree fruit and greens) for breakfast instead of eggs! So delish.

All the produce is so fresh and flavorful. You can stop at a roadside stand and get all kinds of fruit you have never seen before, or eat a whole avocado with nothing to garnish it. That good.

The one thing I wanted and could not find was a vegan version of jerk. I love BBQ and would totally go out of my way if I knew of a place to get it!

Obviously, I am not much of a wine person. What can I say, when you're there you don't really need to drink alcohol to feel relaxed.

912eaf4b 4554 4ca6 92d5 e0c35b25820a  ackees

Well after Umbria, I'd have to go with my own home county San Luis Obispo, CA. Not just for the renowned wines but for olive oil, cheeses and real butchers. Abalone farms over on the coast and the local catch of the day whatever that happens to be.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

The problem with going to a specific region be it Napa or Tuscany or Bordeaux is the you are limited to that regions wine. Today most big cities have restaurants that offer superb foods from around the world and wine cellars to match. So I would go to the city that offers those qualities rather than one only area. New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Las Vegas, Vancouver, London, Paris, Monaco ... take your pick and go to several excellent restaurants with good sommelliers and chefs.

11a5dc99 9cd2 4f28 916e 5bee541e8aa7  400584 2795982053875 1473082837 n 1

The Emilia-Romagna region of Italy, or San Sebastian in Spain.

Dijon France. Small city with stunning wineries with in minutes. Amazing restaurants in this amazing city. Less expensive then Tuscany/Umbria/Loire/napa. More rustic and charming.

5b7755f4 f84e 4738 be55 06b56e9c2553  dsc 0008 002
em-i-lis

Emily is a trusted source on General Cooking.

We love Sonoma! Ravenous is a fantastic restaurant in the square. Wildwood is another great spot and is out in Graton. Great vineyards, down-to-earth people, less touristy than Napa.

I had great food and wine in the Tuscan Badlands - south of Siena.