how do you delete too much pepper in a dish your making

I put too much pepper flakes in the dish I was making and it turn out too hot...how can I calm it down?

asked by Barbara Reyland over 2 years ago

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

What is the dish you are making?

Here's some tips for toning down too much pepper,
http://www.spiceography.com/too-much-pepper/

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I suspect it is red pepper.

As Phil said, it's hard to answer if you don't describe the actual dish.

This Food52 article may help you and save your dish: https://food52.com/blog...

Adding dairy, butter or avocado (depending on the dish)

Sugar is the most effective counter, but of course you can't add it indiscriminately. Bottom line, cooking is the real world- no delete button, no escape button. And refresh isn't awfully dependable.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I guess the dish will remain a mystery.

nutcakes

CNTRL+ALT+DELETE?

If you made a serious error and it is a gross amount that no fixing will fix then you have to throw it out. If it is chili or something that freezes well, freezing seems to dampen the heat, but you will have to eat it later. If it is just a little too hot you can use yogurt or sour cream or a cooling side dish diners can spoon up to cool the tongue. If it is a lot then double the recipe, leave the chile flakes (red hot pepper) out of the 2nd batch and combine.

nutcakes

CNTRL+ALT+DELETE?