How long will creme fraiche remain fresh? I made some up last weekend, for some reason didn't use it, and discovered it on my weekly refrigerator clean-out. Can I use it today? (Note: mine is made with heavy cream, pastuerized, and Greek yogurt.)

asked by Kayb almost 8 years ago

Not sure how long it will remain fresh, but I think a week is certainly fine.

I keep using it unless it grows mold.

healthierkitchen

the sniff test also works. Not sure about homemade, but the Vermont Creamery creme fraiche I usually buy usually lasts for weeks.

As long as it's not moldy, it's most likely good. Try mixing some harissa in it and serving it on hash, super yummy!

RobertaJ

Creme fraiche has a shelf-life about that of sour cream, maybe even a bit longer. Give it the sniff, check for obvious off signs and go for it. If it's separated slightly, just stir it back together.

innoabrd

until it goes mouldy! After all, creme fraiche is basically slightly off cream. In fact, I sometimes keep cream in the fridge for a while an let it turn into creme fraiche...