Baking frozen berry pies

For the first time, I made and frozen some unbaked blackberry pies this summer. I want to bake them for Labor Day. From your own experience, which is best: thawing before baking or baking frozen pies straight from the freezer? Method, oven temp and bake my time all appreciated!

• Posted by: JadeTree
  • September 4, 2016

BerryBaby September 4, 2016

Are the pies in a glass Pyrex pan or metal?

JadeTree
JadeTree September 4, 2016

Metal.

Nancy September 4, 2016

Bake directly from freezer...otherwise filling can weep as it thaws and make for a soggy crust.
Bake about 15-20 min in 450F oven, then reduce heat to 375 and bake another 20-30 min until crust is browned.

JadeTree
JadeTree September 24, 2016

This is what I did and it worked perfectly! It took close to 40 minutes at 375 in my mom's oven, but it's easy to just watch it. Thanks so much!

Nancy September 24, 2016

Glad the baking worked well for you :)

Shuna Lydon
Shuna Lydon September 4, 2016

Consider placing pie pan on a metal "cookie sheet," fitted with a piece of parchment paper, or aluminum foil. Frozen pies can leak a bit, and it's treacherous cleaning those bits off the bottom of your oven...