A question about a recipe: Fresh orange basil sorbet

88287208 568e 489e ac83 404edd4519b2  img 6050 web

I have a question about the recipe "Fresh orange basil sorbet" from Oh Sweet Day!. Do you have a suggestion for adding some sort of alcohol to help the sorbet not set up too hard. Kirsch perhaps?

asked by Sauertea about 2 years ago

My initial thought would be Grand Marnier since it is orange based.

Alternate liqueurs would be triple sec or curaçao, again both citrus-based.

Of course, cognac is a reasonable option as well. There's always some cognac in my pantry, so if felt no desire to drive to the grocery store, I'd probably use that.

Sauertea

Thanks!

Essencia is another good orange liqueur. If you just want the alcohol, vodka. Rum, or even whiskey, would probably be good, but you're messing with the flavor profile more, and if this dish works at all it's going to be a pretty delicate balance.

Grand Marnier, Cointreau, Triple Sec or whatever orange liqueur you like would work well to underscore the orange flavor.

If you’re interested in a different direction (kirsch has a cherry/almond-y flavor, so figured you might be) – maybe Campari, if you’re a fan. Its orange-herbal flavor would play well with the orange/basil, and also add a bitter note - not too strong, if used judiciously. In a similar vein, David Lebovitz makes a delicious Grapefruit Campari sorbet, to give idea of proportion: http://www.davidlebovitz...

Many good ideas so far. Another direction (if you have them around or like them) would be to use a liqueur based on one herb or a judicious mixture.
Whatever the case, go easy in first batch and increase, if needed, thereafter.
Flavor examples:
anise (many brands);
herb blends (galliano, benedictine, etc);
licorice (sambuca).

I've used prosecco with good results.

Oh Sweet Day!

Hi Sauertea, I don't normally go with alcohol as my kids eat it. But normally if you make sorbet with an ice cream maker, it shouldn't be as hard as only freezing it. Being said that, it's always easier to scoop if you leave it out in room temperature for 5 minutes or so. :)