Do propane stoves leave a lingering smell?

My parents are designing a kitchen from scratch and are trying to decide what type of stove to install. They've heard propane can leave a lingering smell. Anyone experienced this?

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 2 years ago

This article won't thrill you. I'm squeamish around such things though.

https://www.easternpropane.com/PropaneSafety/detecting.htm

Natalie R.

I often cook for a friend with a propane stove, and it has a smell when it starts, but I haven't detected anything after the first few seconds once it lights. I feel safer with the smell; it allowed me to detect when another guest had left the burner on without lighting it despite the fact that I was across the room.

All of the stoves I cooked on Italy were propane and I don't remember any lingering smell. The only thing I can think of is a loose connection which would be far more of a problem than smell.
I cooked in a B&B here for a short time and again, I don't remember a lingering smell at a time before or after firing it up.

dymnyno

I have cooked with propane all my cooking life (40+). It is an odorless gas that has an odor added to it so that it is detected if it is left on or when it almost empty or when it has been refilled recently. The smell is a safety feature. If you smell gas, check it out!

Daryna Tobey

We have a propane tank whose sole purpose is to fuel the Wolf. :) There's no smell. The propane thing isn't a big deal at all--we kind of forget the tank is there.

bugbitten

I've never smelt propane from my burners unless there was a leak. To natural gas they add an aroma that is very chemically, but to propane they add a fragrance that is earthier, muskier, poopier. So maybe it's your sous chef passed the gas. Hope this helps.