Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

New Orleans restaurants

Going to New Orleans next month for a few days. Any restaurants besides the usual tourist spots i.e. Cafe du monde.? Also, any other sights worth seeing?

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

asked 3 months ago
401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I went on down to the Audabon Zoo and they all axed for you---The Meters. New Orleans is a wonderful city for food and music. It's unfortunate that some of the great creole places like Chez Helene are now gone. It's important to distinguish between creole and Cajun because the former is what New Orleans is really known best for. The traditional places like Commanders Palace and Arnaud's are still there. But contemporary chef's like John Besh are doing interesting things too. And the zoo really is cool.
For music keep an eye out for where some of the local legends might be performing: Doctor John, the Neville Brothers, Irma Thomas, Beausoleil, Zachary Richard, Wynton or Ellis Marsalis and so on. Somebody is always in town at a club.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Thanks, what is the name John Besh's place?

It's August. Near the aquarium which is also great.

I asked a food writer friend who grew up in New Orleans what her favorites are and she suggested Primitivo, Balise, and La Lapin Compere. I haven't been to any of these but you can trust her taste.