🔕 🔔

What to bring to Yom Kippur dinner?

Help! I was invited to a Yom Kippur break fast dinner and would like to bring something but when I asked I was told to bring nothing. I'm going as a significant other and haven't met the host, I also am not Jewish so I'm not sure what is appropriate to bring. I was thinking a bottle of wine but am open to suggestions. Thanks in advance!

asked by Emily Love 4 months ago
48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

It depends on the hosts: are they kosher? Strictly kosher, moderately kosher? That would narrow down the options significantly (including the wine) and also would depend on what's available in your area.

Recently a friend brought a great and helpful gift to to me when she was invited for dinner: she shopped at Whole Foods and bought one of those re-usable shopping bags there, which she filled with a few beautiful fruits (including figs and an unusual variety of sweet wine grapes) and honey. Honey is traditionally used during the holidays this season. The florist at Whole foods packed the fruits and honey and added a ribbon. I really appreciated this. I think if you found an unusual honey and some beautiful fruit it would be a lovely gift.
If kosher wine is available, that is suitable. If they are not strictly kosher, your options open up significantly, just as for any other dinner party.

Lisanne...great ideas!
Emily Love - there is another holiday coming up about 5 days after Yom Kippur...Succoth, which is partly a fall harvest festival, so you could send a fruit basket or a bunch of flowers for delivery Thurs or Friday for use on the next round of celebrating.

2525f653 b225 4c8f 9925 212187a6f013  2aea6da

Thank you for these super helpful suggestions! I love the honey idea.

401c5804 f611 451f a157 c693981d8eef  mad cow deux

I'm not Jewish myself but I'm glad there are so many holidays with which to celebrate the Jewish culinary traditions.