Best eating chocolate?

Looking for recommendations on the tastiest eat-it-straight-up dark chocolate.

asked by Mollyh almost 2 years ago

Jan Weber

from USA: Guittard

from everywhere else: pretty much impossible to choose imho because there's so much variation, but I enjoy Claudio Corallo, Theo, Grenada Chocolate Company, and for your mass produced hypermarket stuff Ritter Sport.

Scharffen Berger (now owned by, I think
, Ghirardelli" is an excellent brand produced in the SF area (home of Guittard, makers of the best known chips). When I was young and foolish, lo these many years ago, I did a bunch of tasting and came up with Poulain, a French brand, as my overall favorite, but I don't know what they're up to nowadays.

Pardon the punctuation. STILL waiting for these guys to come up with an edit function.

Jan Weber

Scharffen Berger is owned by Hershey now - they closed both Scharffen Berger facilities in CA about 10 years ago and moved all production to their plant in Robinson, IL. It's still good quality chocolate but its not a standout in my opinion.

Hershey's, right- they swore when they were sold that the chocolate wouldn't change, sorry to hear that it evidently has.

Lisa

François Pralus. Any variety. Perfection.

Valhalla

I like Theo, number one for its taste, but also because it does not contain emulsifiers. They just seem unnecessary, and if there is any chance they contribute to digestive problems I will avoid them just in case.

Stephanie G

I like Lindt and Equal Exchange. Also like Endangered Species and Chocolove.

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

Bonnat (France) and Dandelion (San Francisco) make the best chocolate I've ever tasted. They both make quite a few different single-origin or blended bean chocolates, some of which I liked a lot more than others, but they were all very good. These are both quite expensive and somewhat hard to come by; my standby eating chocolate is Theo.

Jan Weber

Dandelion is also very good but they have very few stockists in the East and Midwest USA.

Rachel Sanders

Ritual Chocolate (http://www.ritualchocolate...) is my new go-to eating chocolate. They received a 2016 Good Food Award for their Mid-Mountain blend and their 75% Belize single origin bars, though my favorite is their incredibly complex and deeply flavored single-origin Madagascar bar. They may be harder to find in stores depending on where you are, but they're SO worth ordering online.