olive oil

My favorite extra virgin olive oil that I have been buying by the case for the last 10 years is no longer available :/
Can you recommend a good fruity olive oil for salads and finishing?
Thanks!

asked by Liz about 2 years ago

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

UC Davis makes an excellent olive oil. Here's a link to the website.
http://olivecenter.ucdavis.edu/products

I had no idea they had their own olive oil. Which one is your favorite?

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

I'm an alumni of the Landscape Architecture program so it's been fun to watch the program evolve. I'd suggest trying the organic Estate variety.

I saw that one. Is it possible that I've seen it up here in Oregon? That label looks very familiar.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

It's possible. They used to sell the brand in a local family owned grocery store in town.

I really like California Olive Ranch everyday olive oil. Gets great reviews and UC Davis (I think) deemed it pure. I also like Trader Joe's Kalamata olive oil.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I agree with Susan , the California ranch is very good. For the major brands, I like Colavita , I'm not sure if they were involved in the fake oil scandal or not. I don't know where you're located but the Fairway market in the NY metro areas carries a dozen of the their own varieties from around the world.

Colavita and Bertoli were among the major imported brands cited. What you should know is that the oil can come from anywhere and be blended but if it's bottled in Italy it will be labeled product of Italy. Look for the D.O.P seal which certifies the origin.

Liz
Liz

Funny you should mention Fairway, I was just there yesterday and bought 2, Lucini and Frantoia. Both left me wanting more. Yes there are dozens to choose from, which is why I posted the question! Which one do you like for salads and finishing?

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

I liked the Fairway Barbera Sicilian but I would say to test it in the store first to see if you like it. All the oils taste different and some I did not like much. I would try to California Ranch. Its' no cheap but they make a small bottle if you want to try it. It also goes on sales at time.

MMH
MMH

Costco Kirkland brand was not included in the fake list nor was Trader Joe's - both very good.

Liz
Liz

Thank you all!
The California Olive Ranch oils are available at Fairway?
I am buying a bottle of the COR Arbequina online, and the next time I'm in Fairway I'll try the Barbera Sicilian.
I appreciate the feedback!

For finishing and drizzling, my favorite is Alziari Olive Oil from Nice, France. It's available at Williams-Sonoma stores, and on-line as well.

Alziari is one of the few brands you can reliably trust. But it is expensive. It carries the A.O.C seal (D.O.P. in Italy) which certifies it's origin. That said, I'm in the California Olive Ranch camp for quality and dependability for an everyday oil. There are a lot of small producers in my area that are producing a superior quality product but without the nationwide marketing reach.

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

It is very expensive. Like an expensive wine, I'm not I could appreciate it.

Stephanie G

At Central Market in Fort Worth, California Olive Ranch is $9.99 for 25 oz.

CanadaDan

I love this olive oil...it's not overly expensive,, i find it fruity and not peppery which i don't like. highly suggest it
https://www.amazon.com/Frantoia-Barbera-Sicily-Bottles-containing/dp/B0009WSCQ8

dinner at ten
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

I've really enjoying Villa Oro Picual olive oil as a finishing oil. I would recommend going to a specialty store where you can taste the oils before you buy them, since everyone's taste is different. It won't be the cheapest way to buy it, but if you're only using it to drizzle in for flavor that's less important. The oil I mentioned I think is ~$15-20 at the store like this where I've bought it (Formaggio Kitchen in Boston).