🔕 🔔

How long can fermenting hot peppers sit in the fridge?

I have been using a variation of this recipe for years:
http://www.bonappetit.com...

It has you ferment chilis and salt for 2 days on the counter. My husband starting this and then went out of town, and they ended up in the fridge for... 2 weeks. They well a little funky, but they are supposed to smell a little funky. Should we toss them?

asked by meet your baker 11 months ago

68de587a 1415 4682 863f 6f7a5c5c1744  dsc 0013
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I've left chilis fermenting on my counter top for well over 6 months. I can't image they would've gone bad based on the length of time on the counter and the fridge that you've indicated, however, I'm unsure of your description of "funky". I suggest you follow the link I've added below to a forum on Sandor Katz website Wild Fermentation where you should be able to get any question regarding this topic answered. http://www.wildfermentationforum...

Because they are in the fridge they will be perfectly fine I think. Sounds like you are well on your way to making a fermented chili paste if you mash them. I bet it will be delicious. I would just add a little sugar like one to two tsp to any dish you use the peppers to help balance the flavors.