Extending hot peppers with salt brine?

I thought I saw a blog post or something in the past month about extending the shelf life of hot peppers (jalapenos?) using a salt brine. It didn't pickle the peppers and they stayed crisp and spicy. I've lost the link. Help?

• Posted by: myzuk
  • June 29, 2011

boulangere June 29, 2011

Hmm. Interesting. I'm looking forward to some information here. Very useful if accurate.

hardlikearmour June 30, 2011

It's in the May/June issue of Cook's Illustrated: Slice the fresh chiles in half lenghthwise and store submerged in a solution of 1 T salt per cup water in the fridge. Rinse before using and are indistinguishable from fresh raw ones. Stay crisp for several weeks, start to soften at about 1 month, but can still be used in cooked applications for another couple of weeks.

nogaga
nogaga June 30, 2011

That's super cool!

myzuk
myzuk July 2, 2011

Thank you so much! I have been scouring the food blogs I usually read. Sure enough, Cook's Illustrated was it. Didn't even think of that.

1pan51
1pan51 September 29, 2011

i use 1c salt in 2qt water. fill 1gal jar with peppers, add brine. keep peppers submerged with baggie of water for awhile and put in dark cold place. ive kept these for three years with no change in peppers.