A question about a recipe: Vegan Apple Crisp

4c2d68b2 8e15 4125 86f8 3a5d9f5f40da  vegan apple crisp 008

I have a question about the recipe "Vegan Apple Crisp" from Gena Hamshaw. Can this be made at all in advance? Either a few days in refrigerator or in freezer?

asked by Fanny about 2 years ago

I wouldn't. The topping will get soggy, and there's really no way to make it crisp again without burning or overcooking the top.

But consider this: You could partially cook the fruit, covered in aluminum foil, in the baking dish, and then let it cool completely, uncovered, before refrigerating, covered. (Don't freeze it. The apples will turn to mush.) Mix up the topping separately, ahead of time, and reserve. On the day you plan to serve, put the topping on the fruit and bake. I'd make sure the topping was at room temperature, but the fruit cold, so as not to overcook the fruit.
Hope this helps. ;o)