🔕 🔔

I'm making Rivka's Mujaddara (the best food!!) w/ spiced yogurt for potluck tomorrow and cannot find allepo pepper or spicy paprika (TJ's and WF)... bought Spicely organic paprika - what can i substitute for allepo?

asked by PaulieG over 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Maybe the paprika you bought, plus a little cumin and chili powder.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

It is the BEST! I've been making it every week--had leftovers for lunch today. You could leave out the aleppo pepper, but if you want some heat, some red pepper flakes will be a good substitute.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

You could also use a pinch or two of cayenne and a pinch of paprika. You might have to mail order the Aleppo pepper for future. Penzey's carries it as do Middle Eastern markets.

worth getting some Aleppo pepper. a bit of heat, but not too much, and great flavour. I use it all the time in all kinds of things. Become a real staple for me!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I've never made Rivka's exact recipe, but it's very similar to a classic Middle Eastern one I make quite often (from Paula Wolfert's recipe.) I agree both Aleppo and Hot Paprika are great to have on hand, but I really wouldn't worry about using the precise one this time - just use some cayenne or whatever is handy.

This is the kind of traditional dish that every home cook makes slightly differently anyway: the proportion of onion, type of rice, blend of spices...personally, I sometimes do the yogurt with lots of spices, etc.; other times, depending on what I'm serving with it, very simply with just, e.g.,garlic, lemon, spicy paprika and s/p. It's a very forgiving dish, open to personal interpretation.

Not surprised you're having trouble finding the Aleppo, but spicy pap is usually easy (around here, anyway.) For future use, Szeged is the brand I usually see, even in my supermarket. The can looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Szeged...
(Hungarian, not Mid Eastern, but works perfectly fine.)

Thank you all for your quick and helpful responses! Wow, this really works! I ended up adding a bit of cayenne to the yogurt. Mujaddara smells sooo good and Potluck is at noon!