🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Jim Lahey No-Knead Country Loaf

I have waited the requisite 18 hours for the first rise of this bread - it certainly has spread out but I can never gauge very well if it has doubled in size. It also hasn't risen much and I didnt notice a ton of bubbles as was mentioned in the recipe. But nonetheless I punched it down. Is this similar to other people's experiences? One note is that I used 100% all purpose flour - didn't have bread flour on hand. Thanks!!

asked by Lauren Ruben 15 days ago
53bafd96 8594 4b82 8389 e18dca45560b  the british museum
byb

Hi Lauren! To forewarn, while I've used similar recipes for bread with a long rise-time/standard bread ingredients, I've never followed Jim Lahey's to a T.

However, I know that NYT has a video about the bread that may give you a better visual of what the dough should look like: http://cooking.nytimes...

If you skip to about 2 minutes in, you'll see the dough after 19 hours. Hope that helps!

F318ce72 cf78 45b5 aa34 69717f4f20c1  lauren ruben

Thank you!! It did end up rising more after the second rise too!

Hi Lauren,
For me, at least, I definitely notice a difference with the temperature of the room the dough is rising in. If it's a little chilly, it will take longer to rise, and no harm will come to your dough if you just let it rise for another few hours until you're happy with the bulk. If you have a laundry room and a load going in the dryer, I find that dough gets pretty happy sitting on top of the dryer.

Thanks so much! It rose a bit more the second time around and I think it was because the sun was coming into the room!