Thanksgiving timeline

My household is doing Thanksgiving dinner and I need help with a timeline. We've got one oven and we'll be cooking box mashed potatoes, leg of lamb, greens, rolls, sweet potatoes, cornbread stuffing, pumpkin pie and peach cobbler. Our other dishes, like the ham and turkey breast and gravy and cranberry sauce, can simply be reheated. The goal is to get everything on the table by 7 PM. Help!

asked by walkie74 almost 2 years ago

Sarah Jampel
Sarah Jampel

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

Hi walkie74!

Do the mashed potatoes and greens get cooked in the oven or on the stovetop? If they're on the stove, you'll have more free oven space.

That leaves the lamb, rolls, sweet potatoes, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and peach cobbler.

- Do any bake at the same temp? If so, they can be oven buddies! Maybe the sweet potatoes and the cornbread stuffing can share space?
- How long does each take? Count backwards from 7 PM.

Regardless, I'd probably start with the rolls—they'll have to rise (can this be done overnight in the fridge?) and can be made early in the day. The pie, the stuffing, cobbler, and the sweet potatoes are all good make-early candidates.

Hope that helps a little! And I'm happy to flesh out a more detailed plan with more specific times and temps!

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Have a Happy Thanksgiving Sarah

PHIL
PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

In addition to what Sarah said, Pies- night before / early am, rolls same thing, you can warm them prior to dinner. sweet potatoes, if whole you can microwave them or put them in the oven with the lamb. not sure what greens you are making but usually they can be made ahead or last since they don't take long. not sure what the box potato directions. The lamb you should let rest for 20 minutes after done and use the oven for reheating other items. I make the gravy last with all the drippings but you can make ahead also and just reheat. Send more details on the greens and potatoes if you need more info. I serve at 4 and start cooking at 8 am so you should have plenty of time to get it all done for 7. Good Luck and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

walkie74

OK,so I put the rolls in the fridge for a 2 day slow rise, the gravy is made ahead and so is the stuffing, and the cobbler will most likely be eaten cold, so that's in the fridge too. The sweet potatoes will be made tomorrow, and I think the rest will be as well except for the greens (mustard and collard), which will be made day of. Thanks so much for the help!

Starchgirl

My family always ridicules me.....but I find an Excel spreadsheet with times and temperatures for everything works well. Work back from 7:00 and you'll see what you need to do when.