🔕 🔔

Thanksgiving without an oven

I'm in Japan with some NASA folks and this morning (in a moment of recklessness) volunteered to cater Thanksgiving dinner for 100 people in a kitchen with no ovens. We're omitting turkey since we can't get that here anyway (Korean BBQ instead) and I'm planning on adapting versions of green bean casserole and sweet potato casserole. Where I'm stumped is stuffing. Anyone have any suggestions for me? It's not Thanksgiving without stuffing.

asked by CourtneyBuell over 3 years ago

What kind of heating devices do you have?

Just stovetops and a broiler thing. Maybe a toasted stuffing-esque panzanella or something?

if you have a cast iron pan you can make stuffing right on the stove top... let it cook on medium for 20 minutes or so, keep some stock on hand if it starts to look dry, then flip it over or finish off under the broiler till the top is crunchy

That's a good idea. I'll have to go poking around to see if they have any cast iron. If not, do you think it would work in a large metal pan on lower heat for a longer time?

Df900b8e fd71 4705 9b79 cbedd345478e  loracloseup

Yes will def work- you can wrap it in foil in the pan as well and heat it that way.

I agree with Lora in a large pan you can do a smaller pan of your stuffing in that pan and have an inch or so of water in the pan and just cover the stuffing pan with foil and then cover the whole pan with foil. this could take a while at that reduced temp...

Alright, I like this plan. Thanks everyone for the input!