Your personal shoppers, leaving home not required. Shop gift guides »
🔕 🔔

Pie Crust soggy bottom

My all butter pie crust is flaky on top, but dense/soggy on the bottom, even with parbaking. They also don't hold the pretty crimping as well as I'd like, though I think that is pretty typical for all butter? Thoughts on how to keep the bottom crust more flaky and less dense?

asked by KAM 16 days ago
0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Erin is a baking aficionado, writer, stylist, and Test Kitchen Manager at Food52. She is currently writing a cookbook.

There could be a few things causing you trouble - you may not be par-baking it quite enough - make sure you let it get lightly golden at the edges. Also, make sure you remove the parchment/pie weights and return to the oven for another few minutes - the bottom can hold onto a lot of moisture with the weights on top during par baking. Also, try baking your pies on a pizza or baking stone - this really helps to get the bottom brown instead of soggy. If you try all those things, then the filling is the culprit! It's too wet somehow and is leeching moisture into the crust during and/or after baking. Try making a pre-cooked filling for fruit pies so you can control the moisture level!

For one-crust pies with custard-type fillings (like pumpkin or pecan) I've found it helpful to parbake a few minutes longer than usual and warming the filling to 120 F or so before adding it to the crust. That way, the wet filling sets quicker and spends less time in contact with the bottom crust, so less sogginess.

Baking the pie directly on a stone helps a lot, too.

5989cceb 9b04 4a83 b99d 7eaf35649c4e  stringio

What kind of pie dish did you cook the pie in? I've never had satisfactory results with a stoneware or ceramic dish. I tend to stick to metal or glass.

Df2d539f 4b79 4684 9d1b 726bb830d217  bitt portrait web
Mark Bittman

Mark is the author of over a dozen books, including his most recent, How to Bake Everything: Simple Recipes for the Best Baking.

Prebake more. Only thing I can think of.