🔕 🔔

I want to make a curry winter squash soup for someone that doesnt particularly like squash. Any good recipe ideas?

It's for thanksgiving

asked by KC Mahoney 10 months ago

0fecd8f8 6ef1 4649 9f57 83bf4668f3d0  3572
Erin McDowell

Baking consultant at large at Food52, and author of The Fearless Baker (Fall 2017)

I've made this one before for someone who ALSO doesn't particularly like squash (er...squishy orange foods, as they like to say): https://food52.com/blog...

It's really different than typical soup and has a nice richness that complements the flavors without being overly squash-y.

Coconut milk is also a great complement to a curry squash soup and has a similar impact I think!

Not a recipe, but a shopping suggestion - go for kabocha squash, which has an intensely (good) flavored flesh, also less watery than many other varieties.
And/or if your experimentation goes beyond soup, consider this roasted squash salad from Houseman restaurant (Dec 2015 in NYT):
http://www.nytimes.com...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd go with the coconut milk suggestion. Then consider adding lime either on the side or to taste...maybe a little zest for color contrast on the soup.

A43dee65 01b1 40a6 994d 068c78eb3eee  9f7dd561 a480 4e1b 8c8f d5da7ab5167c
dinner at ten

dinner at ten is a trusted home cook.

This curry-coconut squash soup is great: http://orangette.net/2013...
The recipe calls for curry powder, but I prefer it with Thai red curry paste.

Af749f95 c306 4400 900d aa681242d56b  alice.medrich.deborah.jones 360x360
Alice Medrich

Alice is a James Beard Foundation and IACP award-winning author of ten cookbooks, including her latest, Flavor Flours.

I hope I'm not missing your point: if you have a curry winter squash recipe that you like but do not want to use squash, substitute pumpkin, yams, or sweet potatoes.

Whatever recipe you use, add a good tart apple. Peel and chop it finely; add early on. It will brighten the flavor of the soup, making it much less "squash-y." ;o)