🔕 🔔

I was going to make the caramel cake, the recipe says not to leave out the mace. My local grocery does not carry it, and with the current weather I cannot get to Penzeys. Any suggestions?

asked by peach49 almost 7 years ago

Use a little nutmeg instead...just use 1/4 less.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Definitely, nutmeg (mace is a lacy coating on nutmeg). While your recipe writer probably likes the somewhat more delicate flavor or the color of the mace, a little nutmeg will taste good too.

Nutmeg, yes. Who uses mace anyway except to deter attackers?

I'm a mace fan from our days in India. I don't think there's anything terribly delicate about it!