🔕 🔔

Did I accidentally double salt my turkey while dry brining?

I used 3 T David's kosher salt for 12 lb turkey. Then friend told me I should have used Diamond Crustal brand as other brands are saltier. So after 5 hours in the David's brine I fully rinsed and started over with about 2 T Diamond brand. Plan on brining for 24 hours.

asked by Polly M about 1 year ago

E4e59cb1 e7b6 48ea 8d23 bf6cca6ca275  883004 10152206180238679 1123186313 o
Riddley Gemperlein-Schirm

Assistant Editor at Food52

You should be fine! If you're worried, though, just brine for less time. Overnight will be plenty of time for your bird to get all the brining benefits. Here's some more brining info for you to read, if you like! https://food52.com/blog...

F8bcab55 ddd5 4fea b957 f93cfd2a9ccd  dsc02631
Leith Devine

Leith is a trusted home cook.

I don't think there's much difference between kosher salt brands. The big difference in saltiness is between kosher and regular salt.