A question about a recipe: Orange Cardamom Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Ec7b53ab 42c5 4fe1 a4c6 290be69198cf  2018 0118 orange cardamom sweet potatoes 3x2 julia gartland 7189

I have a question about the recipe "Orange Cardamom Roasted Sweet Potatoes" from nannydeb. If I sub ground cardamom for whole, any idea how much I should use?

asked by Darlene almost 2 years ago

Stephanie Bourgeois
Stephanie Bourgeois

Stephanie is the Head Recipe Tester of Food52.

You won't need quite as much as the original. I would start with 1/8 - 1/4 teaspoon for 2 pounds of sweet potatoes. You can always start with less and then add more after they have roasted if you'd like a strong flavour.

Darlene

I don't know what happened to the whole seeds I was sure I had. I think I'll try 1/4 tsp. - because I'm brave like that - lol. I'll report back after
Thanksgiving. Thanks!

Agree with Stephanie Bourgeois...I cook with cardamom often (in all forms) and it's a strong flavor. I would start with 1/8 tsp (compared to the 1 tsp seeds in original recipe). You can always add more and mix in but it's impossible to take out too much.

Darlene

Hmmm, ok, I love cardamom, but best to err on the cautious side, especially when serving others. Thanks!