🔕 🔔

blind-bake pie crust now smoking, melting a little in oven???too much butter??

made butter pie crust, am blind baking w foil/dried beans. why are some sections falling off, burning? too much butter?? can this be salvaged??

asked by jh 12 months ago

7458e243 9219 43f1 bd13 2b9ca45bb1a9  diana henry 5 credit.chris terry
Diana Henry

Diana is a British food writer and columnist, and the author of ten books, including the James Beard Award-winning ‘A Bird in the Hand’. She gathers inspiration from all over the world and loves home cooking more than any other kind.

What temperature is your oven?

jh

350 conv

jh

should i, gulp, slouch to the freezer section of the supermarket for pre-frozen??

Diana Henry

Temperature isn't your problem, then (providing your even is accurate). Can you tell me the quantities of flour and butter in your crust? And also, even though you've had these problems, is the crust okay (or is it too dark in colour now?)

jh

Or FedEx Mary Berry, Paul Hollywood, Sue and Mel across the pond to my kitchen?

jh

I followed a Melissa Clark recipe: 2 and a half c flour and 20 TBLs extra fat/European butter, plus iceboater (I couldn't get myself to put in vodka). The crust now is calming down a bit, but looks "wet" ...should I just let it bake a little longer?

Diana Henry

Oh, it sounds rescuable. Put it back in and let it bake longer. If the edges are getting too dark in colour (esp once you bake with the filling) then cover them with foil.

Diana Henry

They're tied up, sadly! Though Mary would definitely help you. There's time to make another one, don't panic (and you don't want to have to wait for pastry to defrost). Try this from the Food52 website. And chill the crust before blind-baking - that will stop shrinkage. https://food52.com/recipes...

jh

I can see butter bubbling at the bottom through the Pyrex pie pan. Can this crust be saved?(I do much better with chicken, thanks to your book, btw!)

jh

Thanks so much!! I'm a fan...so much I even pre-ordered your book and waited months for it to arrive in the States. Have a great day...alas, don't have time to redo...have to leave house w two pies in three and a half hours. Relatives will just have to smile and work on being polite. :)

Diana Henry

Honestly, once the filling is in and you're serving it nobody will even know that butter was bubbling at the bottom of your dish. Fill, bake, serve with confidence and a smile!

jh

I think I've watched too many GBBOs on YouTube. Over my shoulder, I see two pairs of glittering blue eyes, peering at my pies. Soggy bottoms. Cracks. "Such a shame, though it's got a nice flavor." Thanks for your handholding and help!