blind-bake pie crust now smoking, melting a little in oven???too much butter??

made butter pie crust, am blind baking w foil/dried beans. why are some sections falling off, burning? too much butter?? can this be salvaged??

• Posted by: jh
  • November 24, 2016

Diana Henry
Diana Henry November 24, 2016

What temperature is your oven?

jh
jh November 24, 2016

350 conv

jh
jh November 24, 2016

should i, gulp, slouch to the freezer section of the supermarket for pre-frozen??

Diana Henry
Diana Henry November 24, 2016

Temperature isn't your problem, then (providing your even is accurate). Can you tell me the quantities of flour and butter in your crust? And also, even though you've had these problems, is the crust okay (or is it too dark in colour now?)

jh
jh November 24, 2016

Or FedEx Mary Berry, Paul Hollywood, Sue and Mel across the pond to my kitchen?

jh
jh November 24, 2016

I followed a Melissa Clark recipe: 2 and a half c flour and 20 TBLs extra fat/European butter, plus iceboater (I couldn't get myself to put in vodka). The crust now is calming down a bit, but looks "wet" ...should I just let it bake a little longer?

Diana Henry
Diana Henry November 24, 2016

Oh, it sounds rescuable. Put it back in and let it bake longer. If the edges are getting too dark in colour (esp once you bake with the filling) then cover them with foil.

Diana Henry
Diana Henry November 24, 2016

They're tied up, sadly! Though Mary would definitely help you. There's time to make another one, don't panic (and you don't want to have to wait for pastry to defrost). Try this from the Food52 website. And chill the crust before blind-baking - that will stop shrinkage. https://food52.com/recipes...

jh
jh November 24, 2016

I can see butter bubbling at the bottom through the Pyrex pie pan. Can this crust be saved?(I do much better with chicken, thanks to your book, btw!)

jh
jh November 24, 2016

Thanks so much!! I'm a fan...so much I even pre-ordered your book and waited months for it to arrive in the States. Have a great day...alas, don't have time to redo...have to leave house w two pies in three and a half hours. Relatives will just have to smile and work on being polite. :)

Diana Henry
Diana Henry November 24, 2016

Honestly, once the filling is in and you're serving it nobody will even know that butter was bubbling at the bottom of your dish. Fill, bake, serve with confidence and a smile!

jh
jh November 24, 2016

I think I've watched too many GBBOs on YouTube. Over my shoulder, I see two pairs of glittering blue eyes, peering at my pies. Soggy bottoms. Cracks. "Such a shame, though it's got a nice flavor." Thanks for your handholding and help!