Sirloin Tips

I received two pounds of sirloin tips from my meat CSA. Because you really don't know what you're getting (usually bottom round and not from the sirloin at all), I don't think I've ever cooked with them. They are stew sized pieces. Anyone have a fabulous recipe? I'm thinking a braise since I'm quite sure they are from the bottom round.

asked over 1 year ago

When I think braise, a few come to mind first...some old stand-bys like carbonnades a la flammande (beer, onions) and boeuf bourgignon.
There are also some brisket recipes out there using pomegranate and finishing with gremolata which I'm planning to try (so can't report on them).
Pomegranate may be available (out of season, but maybe brought in on a Christmas promotion) or there's always pomegranate molasses.

Actually, pomegranate season is now. I think I like your idea of the carbonnades the best. I'll go with that.

Do report back on the brisket recipe. Sounds fabulous. I received a 2.5 lb brisket too.

Oh good, I thought the pomegranate season had ended earlier in the fall.

In California, the season is Oct-Jan. My mom is in San Diego and has a couple of very prolific trees. They are peaking now. The season is even longer here in Oregon, so I suppose it depends where you are.

Nancy, do you have a favorite recipe for the carbonnades?

Susan - I learned the dish from a Julia Child recipe (there are some blogger adaptations but couldn't find a handy clean copy).
But it's not a fussy dish & you could almost do it by eye (a no-recipe recipe), adjusting quantities to match your piece of meat and your pot. Saute some onions and 2-3 lb beef, add 1-3 bottles of beer, some herbs, cover and braise.
This Jacques Pepin recipe is close to hers/classic.
http://www.foodandwine...
Enjoy :), Nancy
PS If you get to it before I do, with all those in-season western pomegranates, here is a selection of the the brisket recipes:
https://www.google.ca/webhp...

Thank you Nancy. I think my recipe was from Parade magazine, but it was a Julia recipe and it seems to have disappeared. I'll let you know how it works with these very lean looking tips.

I'll definitely shout out if I try one of the brisket recipes. I was also thinking of using Nach Waxman's recipe.

Great recipe for the carbonnades Nancy. It is absolutely delicious. I used Guinness beer and added carrots (I was too lazy to cook them separately) and served it over leftover mashed potatoes from Thanksgiving. Scrumptious dinner!

ktr
ktr

I prefer to call that efficient, not lazy!