What is your favorite oil for sautéing?

I used to be an "light" olive oil girl, but I am no longer able to find single-source oil in my local supermarket. Suggestions for other oils, brands, or supermarkets I should try? I'm looking to sauté meats and veggies, so medium-heat applications should work. Feel like I live in a food desert!

BTW, I can have my pick of EVOO, shelves and shelves of choices...wonder what my neighbors are using to cook?

asked by Windischgirl almost 2 years ago

I'd have to say my homemade ghee (made with my beloved kerrygold) or coconut oil. I rarely cook with olive oil. I also use beef tallow, pork lard and duck fat from Fatworks for higher heats. I do use light olive oil to make mayo. :)

Katherine

Coconut oil (I use the brand Nutiva) is great for sautéing at high temperatures.

Niknud
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

If you don't want to get in the way of the flavor of whatever it is you're sautéing, I recommend a neutral oil. There are plenty of good medium and high-heat oils out there that will do the trick. I always keep a bottle of grape seed oil around for that reason. As others have stated coconut oil works well, but sometimes I don't want that flavor.

Grape seed oil is better for sautéing than olive oil which has a low smoke point. But leaf lard is also very good too.

lena

is grape seed oil better than canola?

Windischgirl

Thanks for all your input! I found grape seed oil at a reasonable price at Trader Joe's, so I will have to try that out. I also have organic coconut oil but use that in baking; will have to try savory applications.