🔕 🔔

What is your favorite oil for sautéing?

I used to be an "light" olive oil girl, but I am no longer able to find single-source oil in my local supermarket. Suggestions for other oils, brands, or supermarkets I should try? I'm looking to sauté meats and veggies, so medium-heat applications should work. Feel like I live in a food desert!

BTW, I can have my pick of EVOO, shelves and shelves of choices...wonder what my neighbors are using to cook?

asked by Windischgirl 12 months ago

I'd have to say my homemade ghee (made with my beloved kerrygold) or coconut oil. I rarely cook with olive oil. I also use beef tallow, pork lard and duck fat from Fatworks for higher heats. I do use light olive oil to make mayo. :)

Coconut oil (I use the brand Nutiva) is great for sautéing at high temperatures.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

If you don't want to get in the way of the flavor of whatever it is you're sautéing, I recommend a neutral oil. There are plenty of good medium and high-heat oils out there that will do the trick. I always keep a bottle of grape seed oil around for that reason. As others have stated coconut oil works well, but sometimes I don't want that flavor.

Grape seed oil is better for sautéing than olive oil which has a low smoke point. But leaf lard is also very good too.

is grape seed oil better than canola?

8671a78d 7dd4 4230 a4ec 2a67389ef45e  image

Thanks for all your input! I found grape seed oil at a reasonable price at Trader Joe's, so I will have to try that out. I also have organic coconut oil but use that in baking; will have to try savory applications.