cooking with a husband

My husband, in his mid-60s, loves good food and is a great dishwasher. He’s suddenly decided that he should also cook with me—a next-stage-of-life experience. And because it would share something important in my life, not so much that he really wants to cook. Any advice as to how to handle this? Make it a once-a-week meal that includes menu planning? Cook our way through a book? Teach technique? Something out of the box?

asked over 1 year ago

ktr
ktr

I'd ask him to pick something he wants to cook.
The next question is, do you want to cook with him? If not, if he truly doesn't really want to cook, but just wants to share an activity with you, try suggesting something else.

I hear everyone on the "don't do it if you don't want to," and the "don't teach your kid to drive" but thinking about it, cooking is such a part of everyday life. It's no wonder he wants to be a part of it. Becoming "Mr. Onion Chopper" or "Rice Guy" might be just what he's thinking.

OK, so dump the analogy to driving.
Back to ktr's idea...to ask him what he wants to do/learn.
Let him tell you and then you (both) can work on how.

janet erikso

See if there are any cooking classes in your area. My husband and I have taken several classes together: grilling/bbq, Mexican, knife skills. Both fun and a learning experience and I think it is generally better to have an independent party teach the cooking skills.

Like not teaching your teenager how to drive, but leaving it to experts?
Sounds good.
Chris, some cooking schools have dinner included in the plan, so you learn, cook and eat with the other students. A kind of learning date-night.
Or, if there are no such classes near you, you could go for the cooking class and add your own treat - depending on timie of day - like dirnks, dinner, or dessert out at a local establishment.

Ali Slagle

In A New Way to Dinner, Amanda talks about how her husband Tad owns certain parts of recipes (chopping onions, getting rice going) so that they can catch up while they make dinner, but on the nights that he's not around, she can still get the recipe made. Maybe you could help your husband master certain cooking techniques that are found in lots of recipes—chopping garlic, washing greens, making pasta—so there's always a moment for him to be in the kitchen with you, but if he doesn't feel like cooking that night, you'll still get dinner on the table.

This sounds like it's probably just what he's thinking about, thanks.

caninechef

If he is not interesting in cooking for its own sake this sounds like a great place to start. Out of 3 kids I was always the one that helped my mother in the kitchen. I don't think I wanted to cook especially but she was a great cook and this was time I spent with my mother, usually one on one. Chopping and peeling vegetables etc. My tasks tended to be repetitive and boring but the time was always wells spent. So I would say plan meals together so he is available when that butternut squash needs to be conquered.

Of course the join cooking classes sound like a lot of fun.

Start with a simple recipe (give him a few choices) and have him make it with you being the coach. He will learn from the experience and he'll either love it or realize its not what he thought it would be.

Ask your husband how he wants to go about cooking with you.

Try one of those boxed meal services. Like Blueapron
https://www.blueapron.com...

It'll have detailed instructions and all the stuff you need in the 'kits'.
After you become accustomed to doing that..explore on your own.
There's another service, I forget the name of...but both have been having holiday specials.