Our little rice cooker, now in red + brass for the holidays. Shop the exclusive »
🔕 🔔

What's your opinion on Agave Nectar - Yay or Nay?

asked by Phoenix Helix almost 6 years ago
397bc6d3 46e8 4d02 8a39 ce4a087eb481  2015 0609 amanda portrait 135

I never used agave until some food52 cooks started contributing recipes that call for it. I like that it has a gentle sweetness, so it's handy for things like salad dressing where you want just a hint of sweet. It has a fairly shallow flavor so you can't expect a lot from it, and it won't replace other sugars, but it's a handy tool for when you want something less assertive than honey and more interesting than corn syrup.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I've been nay since reading this article: http://www.huffingtonpost...

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Yay for some things--homemade ice cream, mixed drinks
(Try this one: http://www.food52.com/recipes...), any place where you would use simple syrup. (But it's pretty easy to make simple syrup.)

Otherwise, I haven't figured out many uses for it and I've had a bottle in my pantry for a while. I'd love to see others' opinions on this one.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

It's a low-glycemic food, meaning that it takes longer for your body to digest the sugars, so for health-conscious folks trying to increase their metabolism, it's a better sugar choice (though not calorie-free.) But there are many cons to agave nectar as well, which you can find all over the Google.

I keep it in the house, but use it primarily to drizzle on my non-fat Greek yogurt with frozen wild Maine blueberries. Yum!

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Sparingly. I prefer honey or simple syrup. Agave can be just as processed as corn syrup, so I use it sparingly, like in a light salad dressing.

I tried to experiment using it in bread, and I dont know if that was the cause of it turning out hard/dry and not good at all. But after that I didn't really want to try using it in baked goods

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

Agave had really good PR for a minute and then their competitors had really good PR (hence the article above) so I think it is natural to be questioning after all the mixed messages we've been getting lately.

For certain things, agave is great. I like how it has a more caramel-like flavor than sugar or honey. I don't get as much of a dizzy head rush as I do with sugar. Some of the things I use it for are: sweetening drinks, making sauces, caramelizing onions, and making brownies. If you want to use it in a recipe in place of sugar, just add 2/3c agave for every cup of sugar, and cut down the liquid ingredient by about 1/4 c. This depends on the recipe but I think it is good to expirement and have diversity in your ingredients.

The sweetners I have on hand include agave, evaporated cane juice (basically, sugar that is less processed i.e. not bleached), panela (Colombian black sugar...the most unrefined sugar and most flavorful...tastes almost like vanilla), dried dates, maple syrup, and this weird pineapple-chipotle sugar I made last week in my dehydrator. I also just heard about coconut sugar from a chef friend of mine and really want to try it (they have at southeast asian markets).

In my book, the more choices you have, the more versatile you can be in your cooking.

9acfdd05 7247 4ff2 9a6c 9141e73a07c8  52 photo

Yay, mostly because of the lower glycemic factor; but then I use honey, brown and granulated sugar as well; I will be trying Coconut Palm sugar, soon. Check out the link - covers pros/cons on Agave and also has a link (up top) about the Palm Sugar...lower on the glycemic scale than Agave.
http://whatscookingamerica...

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful response. There are no easy answers to this question, obviously! The consensus seems to be that Agave isn't a health food, but does have its place in certain recipes. Both things are good to know. Thanks!