I purchased a bottle of agave nectar to use in a cocktail. Any other uses??????

asked by knhnifty almost 8 years ago

This recipe was a finalist and calls for agave: http://bit.ly/9iZZan

chrissyb

Couldn't you thicken the nectar and put it over ice cream?

Also this Strawberry-Fennel Ice Cream http://bit.ly/cFXooB

ninadora

its just a sweetener-- you can use it in place of sugar, honey or maple syrup

gingerroot

I have had success using agave in baked goods and sorbets or ice creams.

ketherian

Agave nectar is about 40% sweeter than sugar.
The All about agave website has a good page explaining how to use Agave nectar in a recipe in place of some other sweetener.
The website 101 cookbooks has three good recipes; my favourite being the black bean brownies.

TheWimpyVegetarian

I've been using it as a replacement for sugar in almost everything. If the recipe calls for sugar, I cut the amount back by about 25% in general. It's worked very well in cakes, pies, sorbets, and ice creams, that I've used it in.

katiebakes

So much! I love agave! I use it in muffins, smoothies, to sweeten oatmeal, but I have found it is fabulous to use to sweeten carrots instead of honey. It is also good to use to sweeten tea instead of sugar.

Comes in handy for cauterizing an open wound.

knhnifty

Thanks so much to everyone! I'll check the websites recommended and try using it in recipes at 75% of the measurement of sugar.