🔕 🔔

Talk Cookie To Me - cookie repertoire P2

OK part two of Cookie Talks, I also need to learn principals of cookie making - what makes different types work, why do we do things like chill, how does one know how far apart to space them, flours, leaveners, sugars, etc. I would like to eventually be able to makee up cookie recipes, so I need to know All Of The Cookie Things. Discuss.

asked 9 months ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

This seems a little beyond the scope of this section- Food52 had a "Cookies of the World" section that covered a lot of ground and is probably still on here somewhere- everything from Brazilian "Brigadeiros", a dolce de leche relative through rugelach- like Polish Christmas cookies and on. Maida Heatter's "Book of Great Cookies" or "Maida Heatter's Cookies" are great sources, of course. Rose Levy Beranbaum's "Baking Bible" contains tons of information on this and other subjects and uses about every technique under the sun as far as chilling, resting etc.- she also has a Christmas cookies book that I haven't seedn, but it can be counted on for plenty of info.

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

Didn't you review The Baking Bible? I bet some of the info you want is in there. Or you could try Shirley Corriher's Bakewise for some cookie science. (I have Cookwise and there's some stuff in there if you want to borrow it.). Cooks Illustrated also covers those topics. It might be worth getting an on line subscription so you can search there.

E7b6597b db6e 4cae b9f3 699b508f4ed3  036

I did review baking bible, just got it back out! I would love to have a look at Cookwise as well. Let the edumacation begin!!!

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

The book that had me really start baking well was Shirley O. Corriher Cookwise. Bakewise was even better. My other go to baking book is Tom Douglas' The Dahlia Bakery Cookbook - Sweetness in Seattle. My daughter (who is now an attorney) was working there at the time and home tested many of the recipes. The other thing to remember about baking is it is exact and people who like chemistry are very good bakers.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

I agree! When it comes to baking there's no eyeballing anything! Measure,measure, and measure again !

Abbie, you'd really enjoy this magnum opus of cookie wizardry, from none other than the supremely intelligent and articulate Alice Medrich: "Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies." One of my favorite cookbooks, on any subject. ;o)
P.S. Her "Seriously Bittersweet" is also noteworthy.