🔕 🔔

how can I tell if persimmons are ripe without biting into them?

asked by brandon almost 7 years ago

27e464b9 6273 420b 9546 d6ed6ae12929  anita date
Anitalectric

Anita is a vegan pastry chef & founder of Electric Blue Baking Co. in Brooklyn.

My rule of thumb for all fruit is to smell. If they smell sweet, even faintly, they are ready to go. Also, if they give a little, that's a good sign. Not rock hard, not squishy. Somewhere in between. I know this might not be super helpful or specific, but I trust my instincts more than any hard & fast rules!

i usually try this too, however last time I bought them I used this rule and they were super dry and full of tannins.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

it depends which type of persimmon you have. If you have hachiya, which are sort of longer, then they are not ripe until pretty mushy. If you bite into an underripe hachiya (and they take forever to ripen) you will have that horrible dryness in your mouth for a while. Fuyu persimmons, on the other hand, are more tomato shaped and can be eaten while still hard. I like fuyus a little softer than that, but not mushy. I only buy fuyus now, If you search "persimmon" here on food pickle you'll find a couple of earlier threads that might include photos.

9848bd7f 4343 4a4a 8dbc 694f97ffd18d  s538818392 1497440 3193 1

They should be red/orange in color and should leave a fingerprint when touched.