🔕 🔔

Hors d'oeuvres to make the night before

I need to make a savory hors d'oeuvre for my office holiday party, so it has to be something I can make the night before and transport (there's no kitchen at my office, unfortunately.) Any ideas?

asked by LucyS 10 months ago

Some ideas to get you going.
Choices depend on what you like, budget and dietary restrictions (you know the modern drill), & assume (for food safety) your commute is under two hours or you can take some of these in a cooler:
*skewers with roasted vegetables, cheese cubes, deli meats
*bruschetta, savory biscotti and/or good quality crackers (bring in a tin, add topping at office)
*vegetable dips or spreads (some, like hummus, can be frozen and transported that way, ready to eat on arrival or soon after)
*roasted flavored nuts (not just salt...there are good rubs, herb blends, etc)
*mixed good olives with flavored bits - garlic, orange rind, etc (many recipes out there)
*Italian giardinara (mixed garden vegetable pickle).

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

For Thanksgiving, I made David Lebovitz's update of a retro cheese ball - I think it actually tastes better after it sits a day: http://www.davidlebovitz... Easy, festive and it was a big hit. Btw, I doubled it (but very rich, a little goes a long way) and used chopped dried cranberries instead of dates, and almonds instead of pecans, since that's what I had on hand.

Crackers with egg salad and caviar. Devilled eggs with caviar is a slightly upscale version of this but fraught with potential disaster.