🔕 🔔

Hors d'oeuvres to make the night before

I need to make a savory hors d'oeuvre for my office holiday party, so it has to be something I can make the night before and transport (there's no kitchen at my office, unfortunately.) Any ideas?

asked by LucyS over 1 year ago

Some ideas to get you going.
Choices depend on what you like, budget and dietary restrictions (you know the modern drill), & assume (for food safety) your commute is under two hours or you can take some of these in a cooler:
*skewers with roasted vegetables, cheese cubes, deli meats
*bruschetta, savory biscotti and/or good quality crackers (bring in a tin, add topping at office)
*vegetable dips or spreads (some, like hummus, can be frozen and transported that way, ready to eat on arrival or soon after)
*roasted flavored nuts (not just salt...there are good rubs, herb blends, etc)
*mixed good olives with flavored bits - garlic, orange rind, etc (many recipes out there)
*Italian giardinara (mixed garden vegetable pickle).

For Thanksgiving, I made David Lebovitz's update of a retro cheese ball - I think it actually tastes better after it sits a day: http://www.davidlebovitz... Easy, festive and it was a big hit. Btw, I doubled it (but very rich, a little goes a long way) and used chopped dried cranberries instead of dates, and almonds instead of pecans, since that's what I had on hand.

caninechef

Crackers with egg salad and caviar. Devilled eggs with caviar is a slightly upscale version of this but fraught with potential disaster.