🔕 🔔

Updated dishwasher recommendations?

Given the rather alarming noises that are emerging from the bowels of my our old dishwasher, I suspect the time is approaching when a new appliance will have to be purchased. I checked the hotline (as you do) but the last thread was several years old. So would like updated recommendations on a good, quiet dishwasher. Not terribly concerned about the cost and we are willing to pay for excellent functioning. But not so much just for a name (i.e., American Ranges versus Viking). My foggy drinking classes and not-so-clean plates thank you in advance!

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

asked 7 months ago

F7a07c52 dec8 4219 915b 500fe04dd17a  jeremy profile
Jeremy Beker

Senior Software Engineer at Food52

My wife and I purchased a Bosch a few years ago (specifically model SHX53TL5UC) and could not be happier with its operation. Beyond the obvious keeping dishes clean, the biggest benefit to me is that it is virtually silent. We have an open kitchen and our dining room table is 6 feet from the dishwasher, but we have no qualms about running it when we have guests over. The noise is barely perceptible.

Be53e5fa f5fe 4601 8d5e 7d9c096a5aed  nog
Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

It's going on the list! We have a similar open layout in our house so quiet is high on the list of requirements. Hoping for several suggestions so we can have a good starting point. Thanks for the recommendation.

ktr

We have a samsung and have been very happy with it. The appliance repair guy that came to try to fix our old one recommended it. He also said that dishwashers with steel drums are quieter and dishes dry better in them. He also recommended getting a mid-level dishwasher. The cheaper ones don't work as well and the higher end ones typically are charging for extra features you likely won't use. That being said, my parents recently purchased a higher end samsung dishwasher and I love that her silverware sit on a top shelf rather than in a basket, and the door opens when the dishes are done. The door opening would be nice because we normally wash dishes at night, open the door in the morning and then have to wait a few hours for them to finish drying. On the other hand, I can see my toddler finding the door open and taking dishes out.

My parents purchased the trio of stainless steel Samsung appliances (range, dishwasher, fridge) during their kitchen remodel 2 years and they couldn't be happier! The newer versions do have upgrades compared to older models that do take a little getting used to (basket vs tray for utensils as mentioned by KTR) but my mom loves it and she's a dishwasher queen! Also one important thing to consider when shopping is size, some are slightly bigger or smaller then others (compared to older models) so make sure to factor that into your kitchen needs.

Good luck shopping!

8f5038ed 8aca 4d33 aef7 8a0ce63adc40  img00019 20100929 0432 1

My Bosch was a game-changer.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Game-changer because of it's high degree of awesomeness? Do you have a similar model to the one Jeremy mentioned above?

Let me check out the model...brb

Bosch Ecosense. Game-changer because I had NO idea that a dishwasher could be so quiet! It looks good in the kitchen without the control panel being in your face. It cleans so well! everything. When I first bought it I had trouble with the configuration f the dish racks and was miserable. Couldn't fit my pans, dishes glasses & flatware like I did in the past because I bought American. American and European seem to have a different configuration with the racks. Called Bosch and without cost set me a new insert. Problem solved. It has been 6 years and very happy. It also has an adjustable rack setting to make it higher & lower for pots/pans/serving dishes that are oversized/odd-sized.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Excellent! Thanks for all the info. Sounds like Bosch is definitely getting a close look.

First of all, Viking is an American made and domiciled company.
As for dishwashers, I have had my Jenn-Air dishwasher for 12 years, and it is as efficient and quiet today as when it was installed. I can't say enough good things about it. Sometimes I still have to go in and check that it's running because it is so quiet.

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Hi June - thanks for the recommendation. I meant the American Range company (that's it's name). It makes good quality gas ranges that aren't quite as pricey as the Viking. :)

Thanks for that info, Rachael. I haven't been range shopping for a long time. (Thankfully) my Jenn-Air dual fuel is as reliable as my dishwasher. Wasn't aware of the American Range Company.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Bosch! We had our kitchen updated recently and all new appliances installed. The Bosch is SO quiet and holds an insane about if dishes! I'd highly recommend checking out all the Bosch models. I'm positive you will find one that accommodates your needs.

Ugh, time to look closer to see if I have one and clean it out!

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I'm also considering a new dishwasher. For those who are recommending Bosch, do you have clean out the filter frequently? I've always had dishwashers with self-cleaning filters. Bosch is top-rated in CR but I'm not sure I want to be bothered with frequent cleanings....

6+ years going strong and clean, I don't think I have a self-cleaning filter on the Ecosense.

Doesn't need to be done too often but only takes a few minutes. Keeps your dishwasher from getting that funky smell like the self cleaning one we had. Think of it as cleaning out the lint tray on your clothes dryer. Takes a little time but the reward is worth it.

609271d6 306e 4b3e 8479 9d404fb84e73  moi 1

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

17 years ago, when we moved into our apartment we bought a Bosch dishwasher. FIve years ago, we decided to remodel our kitchen. We bought a high-end Miele and gave the Bosch to our friend. Bosch is still running strong, Miele broke three times....

Thank you so much for the info on the Miele, I had considered buying one, in fact I was pretty sold on the idea. I had heard they had an extremely long warranty.

QueenSashy is a trusted home cook.

That is correct, they have a long warranty. Their customer service is also excellent. (The reason I know it is because I saw a lot of their customer service, ha ha ha.) I have two ovens and a dishwasher and they all broke within six months. (Also, bear in mind that when the warranty expires, their parts and repair are very expensive.) I rarely leave negative reviews (and maybe my case is an outlier), but if I ever get to remodel my kitchen again (which most likely I will not) I'll go with a different brand.

ktr

Also a consideration, make sure there is someone in your area that will do repairs on whatever brand you choose.

absolutely! I buy at local appliance stores for their quick repair appointments and customer service. learned the hard way on that lesson - bye, bye big box stores!

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Update! I know you've all been biting your nails to the quick waiting for the big dishwasher reveal. Well (drum roll please), we decided to go with the Bosch! Given the overwhelming consensus here and a bit of research online, it seemed like the perfect combo of reliability and functionality. Splurged and got the 800 model which will (apparently) be so quiet as to require a little red light that shines on the floor when it's running so you don't forget and open it mid-cycle. *Excited shiver* Gets installed this week. Thanks for all the help/advice!

Mazel Tov! Thanks for the update and hope you love it!

Congrats. A bit of splurge is worth it in the long run for extra functionality. I'm looking at that one too for the adjustable middle rack, plus the top rack: looks like it will have room for whisks and other odd-sized utensils. If you can, let us know how you love it!!

Excellent! Have had ours for a couple of months and still have to check the red light on the floor to see if it is on! It holds a lot of dishes, I was really surprised, which means you run it less often, that is if you have enough clean dishes to use. Report back with your review. BB

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

About 10 years ago. We got a Bosh. Great stuff until it turned evil and started leaking. Little leaking that slowly destroyed the flooring.
The repair guy said they're wonderful until you need to repair...then you might as well replace (Which we with a Sears trade in).

Look at the bottom of the bosh dishwasher. There's a 'drip tray' there. Designed to catch leaks. Which is a thoughtful addition because it leaked, and apparently they knew it would leak...and said "oh we'll just put a drip tray there" and a float switch....They expect it to leak. All fine and well until the switch jamms. and the drip tray fills up.

Do a google search with "Bosh Dishwasher Leaking" and see the number of hits.
While "GE dishwasher leaking" returns a similar number...ask your self which one is more popular and in more homes?

All of our previous dishwashers were GE and we very happy with them. The last one leaked, unbeknownst to us, and the floor had damage. Doesn't matter what brand when it comes to leaking. I believe many do leak after years of use. We were happy with GE but replaced it with Bosch and we're extremely happy with how quiet and efficient it is. Could it leak? Maybe, but we are now more knowledgeable as to what to check and keep up with maintaining it.

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

On the don't buy side - do not buy an ASKA

I've not heard of that brand. BB

Niknud

Rachael is a trusted home cook.

Update 2: Well, we've just finished up our first week with our shiny new dishwasher and I couldn't be more happy. Ok, well, technically I COULD be more happy, but not as far as kitchen appliances are concerned. This thing is freaking quiet. Like quiet, quiet. And everything comes out sparkly and clean. And it uses a tiny amount of dishwasher power. Like, one tablespoon of powder. So far, I have been nothing but delighted. I can now watch Outlander without wondering whether I'm hearing clashing broadswords or my plates clanking together. Not that I didn't appreciate the surround sound effect, but the impact was somewhat less thrilling during the dialogue bits. Again, can't that the awesome hotline crew enough!

Great to hear your update!