The pie emoji is coming! Hear how we helped change history. »
🔕 🔔

What can I do with dough with the wrong level of hydration?

Hi everyone,

I made a silly mistake (I was chatting as I measured!) and added the wrong amount of water to this challah https://food52.com/recipes... (I believe I added 90 grams instead of 190 grams... doy!). Is there any hope for it? I've already done all the folding... Bleh! Thank you.

Sarah is Food52's senior staff writer & stylist.

asked about 1 month ago
B060878a 30a3 4de6 b178 d626ffef0fe8  img 1470

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

added about 1 month ago

I've done my fair share of over hydrating, but I'm not too experienced with under hydrating. You could probably do 1 of 2 things: 1. save the dough and use it as a preferment for future challah/brioche batches or 2. I would try cutting the dough into smaller, even pieces, put it in the mixer with the remaining water and let it mix on low until the dough is rehydrated. You should then give it an hour or so at room temperature before shaping. Since its pretty enriched, I don't think you should worry too much about overworking it. You may not end up with optimum volume, but all the work/ingredient won't be completely lost.

Bb305185 6b66 45c6 ac96 6204c9dd8a30  dsc09796
Sarah Jampel

added about 1 month ago

Incredibly helpful—thank you!