What are some fun bites to pair with sparkling wine for a party?
I am throwing a birthday party that is all about bubbles (champagne, cava, prosecco...you name it). Anyone have any favorite pairing for bubbles? Most of the bubbles will be of the brut variety, if that helps! Thanks!
Recommended by Food52
- Truffled macaroni and cheese - PERFECT with rosé cremant
- Tartines (one with Purple Haze goat cheese and cucumbers, the other with creme fraiche, smoked salmon & lemon zest)
- Gougeres (made with gruyere & Beemster XO cheese)
- Poached shrimp with mignonette sauce
- And just for fun -- The Kitchn's recipe for Cheddar Olives, which are green olives wrapped in homemade Cheez-It dough and baked (people are still taking about them!)
https://food52.com/recipes/25180-montrachet-tarts and they are all easy to do and can be done ahead of time.
I am also a big fan of Gougere... traditional french pate a chou puffs with cheese (and often herbs)
- thinly shaved prosciutto or jamon serrano
- deviled eggs
- blinis topped with creme fraiche and salmon or paddlefish caviar or any smoked fish
- smoked salmon canapes
- pate crostini
Somehow, the bubbles idea makes me think of a bubble of good inside a casing, smalk (1-2 bites).
If you have the time and helpers, the gougeres, tortellini, spanokopita, fried ravioli and/or kreplach, puff pastry balls filled wirh chocolate or nut filling for dessert, etc etc.
I don't know how professionals / wine connoisseurs think but my other favorite pairings with bubbles are :
Rich, dark flour-less chocolate cakes
Stone fruits esp nectarines wrapped in proscuitto
Mini crab cakes with a lemony sauce
Anything shell fish really - lobsters, or even better oysters!! With all the varieties of mignonettes
Spiced and/or cheesy popcorn
Ceviche, esp with nice white fishes or crab
Triple creme cheeses with those fruit/nut crisp breads
Anything citrus - I looove lemon cakes or lemon cookies or honestly lemon risotto with sparkling wines
LATKES! With creme fraiche and roe/caviar... Esp some of the more unconventional ones, I love sweet potato, butternut squash, and parsnip latkes with bubbly wines
soft ripened goat cheeses with baguette
potato chips (not fancy but fantastic with bubbles); along the same rich potatoey lines, Spanish tortilla
on the sweet side, anything with berries and/or almonds, like a frangipane tart with berries, or almond cake
olive oil-rosemary shortbreads (recipe from Blue Bottle, also posted several places online)