Wine/ Procecco or Cava Suggestions - Inexpensive, Best Buy

Looking for an inexpensive but good red, chardonney & cava or prosecco wine for a cocktail party buffet. Cost plays a big part, so looking for something widely avilable (New York) but tasty to complement a heavy hors doerve engagement party. There will be a full bar but need recommendations; buying in about 4 hours for 70 adults. For cava (toast) I was thinking of Julama Crystalino, Red - Sangloveses Di Majo Norante, Savignon Blanc - Cupcake (because the grooms who are not drinkers will LOVE the label) Thanks.

asked almost 6 years ago

rt21

Mionetto has a really nice procecco not too dry and not too sweet and the price point is really good

Kenzi Wilbur

I second Mionetto for the prosecco, or Lunetta, and Ciacci Piccolomini makes a solid Sangiovese that's really reasonably priced.

My wine guy says some of the California sparkling wines are better than French. Can't remember name of what I bought last. That red is my go-to catering wine - everyone loves it. that cupcake sauvignon blanc is my fave. if you end up with leftover, I'll buy it from you!
Is the party tonight?? Congrats to the grooms!

The party ( 1 of 2 ) is Saturday night and party two the following Sat night (100 people). I will order the Mionetto for the proscecco and the cupcake for savignon blanc. Will inquire about the red (Lunetta and Ciaaci Piccolomini), but what about a chardonnay? Thank you!

SMSF
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

Prosecco: If your Trader Joe's sells wine (I 'm not sure if they all do) you should try Zonin prosecco. It's Italian and was recommended to me by a Rome native who is picky about bubbly (among other things!) Clean and crisp, and best of all it's only $7 or $8 a bottle.
I have not seen it anywhere else but TJs so I suspect it's bottled just for them.

nutcakes

I have tried that recently for a Bridal Shower but I found it very thin and a bit sour. I did read it reccommended somewhere recently but can't remember where. I wish I could name what we ended up with but it is too short notice by the OP to advise, and can't remember offhand. It is a bit on the sweet side for a Brut, but has a rich mouthfeel and generous bubbles. And the price is right, by the case only. Was recommended by a local shop who sells it mainly to restaurants.

nutcakes

SeaJambon

In our area, Trader Joe's has a Cristallino bubbly (not honestly sure if it is a champagne or procescco) that is really nice around $8 bottle.

Summer of Eggplant

It's just sparkling not technically cava or prosecco but the Gloria Ferrer Blanc de Noirs shows up around this house more than I would like to admit, $16, same with its Chandon counterpart. You have probably already purchased but for down and dirty inexpensive sparkling I normally go with the Veuve de Vernay Rose about $8. As for the red I typically head for Spain or Latin America as well for an inexpensive full bodied wine. I like the Juan Gil, about $12 and an Albarino Rias Biaxs for the white, about $9.

Tony S

La Marca is a fantastic prosecco. It usually ranges in the $13 - $15 per bottle range but could possibly be cheaper if purchased by the case.

Trader Joe's has a sparkling wine under their own name that is REALLY tasty and only $5.95 a bottle! Our "house sparkling" is Gruet made by a French family in New Mexico that I buy online from winelibrary.com for about $12 a bottle. Tastes like SO much more $$. ;)