Over the hill Garlic

The last time I bought loose garlic (from a mostly produce store I shop at all the time) it was way past prime despite my search a promising head. I assume it is the time of year. I have never used them but I was wondering about the mesh sleeves of usually 3 heads. The heads are smaller but seem to look much better these days with everything about them looking tighter and fresher. Are they comparable to loose garlic?

asked by caninechef over 1 year ago

I sometimes buy the sleeves of garlic. If it looks tighter and fresher chances are it is. If the germ is noticeable you can remove it with a small sharp knife. Mash with a pinch of salt for less "gamey" flavor.

I buy the 3 bulb sleeves when I go to my favorite Asian store. They are always smaller, but plump and tight. I've never gotten one with the green germ which should always be removed.

I usually process and freeze it.

Here's my odd method. I toss all 3 bulbs into a large glass jar. I use a 1.5 liter Fido jar. Then you shake shake shake until they fall apart. You have to shake hard and longer than you want to. YMMV. It's a piece of cake to peel after that. I process it, put it into a plastic ziplock bag and flatten it. Pop it into your freezer and just break off what you need, when you need it. Here's a picture of my big jar. I use it for one bulb too.