Grant their wishes: 20% off $150+ with code GOGOGIFTS. Go, go, gifts » details
Enter code GOGOGIFTS at checkout. Offer valid through 11:59pm ET 12/11/16. U.S. only. Certain restrictions and exclusions apply.
🔕 🔔

A question about homemade chili garlic paste - how long will it last in refrigerator?

The recipe is from the NY Times and simple has reconstituted dried peppers, grapeseed oil, garlic and then processed. The directions say "Refrigerate for up to 2 days." Why would it only be good for 2 days?

asked by SKK over 4 years ago

Without the recipe, I'm going to assume that it's because the paste is not cooked. My aunt's recipe for chili garlic paste/sauce involves no oil, plenty of sugar and cooking. It keeps in the fridge for a couple of months and frozen for up to a year.

8a5161fb 3215 4036 ad80 9f60a53189da  buddhacat

Does your aunt's recipe use fresh peppers? These are dehydrated and dehydrated food keeps forever. Also, I save salad dressings with oil for longer than 2 days with no problems.

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Dehydration works by denying bacteria water which they need to replicate. Rehydrate and things can grow.

Garlic, like anything that comes from the ground, can harbor botulism spores which replicate in anaerobic (oxygen poor) environments even under refrigeration (which is why homemade garlic oil = bad news). Judging just by the listed ingredients, that would be the reason for a short useful life.

Commercial flavored oils and salad dressings are properly acidified to prevent botulism.

A7132580 ab6d 4637 9b1a ed4f3f514400  scplogoblog

I agree with all of the above, add an acid (e.g., vinegar) and this will last for ages in the fridge. In fact, in the height of hot pepper season, I pulse peppers, sugar, vinegar, ginger and salt and keep it in a jar throughout the winter and it is so fab and versatile! Mix this with a thick simple syrup and you've got a fantastic sweet and spicy pepper sauce. If you want to take this a step further, you can leave it at room temp to ferment and get truly amazing and health promoting properties and intricate flavors (as well as a product that will last...not forever..but...). If you want to try such a thing, I suggest searching the internet for fermented pepper pastes, you need to get the salt/acid ratios in proper order.