I am wondering if there is a rule of thumb about substituting whole wheat flour for unbleached a-p flour in cookie recipes.

For example, if I wanted to do it with Merrill's yummy cookie recipe from earlier this week. I had a cookie with WW flour recently and it was yum so I am interested in trying it out.

asked by Kelsey Banfield over 8 years ago

When I want to make whole grain cookies, I substitute equal amounts of King Arthur white whole wheat flour. It's ground finer than most regular whole wheat flour, so results will be similar to AP flour when making cookies.

healthierkitchen

I also do a straight switch if using white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour. For great, great whole grain baking, if you haven't already, check out Kim Boyce's Good to the Grain.