A question about a recipe: Orange Mousse

I have a question about the recipe "Orange Mousse" from Erin McDowell. Thank you for the great recipe and the detailed instructions! I just have one question - how long should I whisk by hand until the mixture reaches 140° F , because I don't have a thermometer? Thanks in advance!

• Posted by: Daf
  • March 23, 2017
  • 1 Comment
A6154736 55a2 4b28 bb47 0e2454a0a83d  2017 0304 citrus charlotte james ransom 255
Recipe question for: Orange Mousse

1 Comment

Smaug March 23, 2017

The recipe switches to a rubber spatula for that stage. You really can't tell by time; too many variables, but she does give some guidance on what to look for; you might look for other citrus curd recipes (such as the lemon curd recipe she cites) for more guidance. I look for small bubbles to start bursting occasionally; they should leave a fairly persistent trail; the mixture should also be thickening noticeably, but will thicken more when it cools.