🔕 🔔

I just got 2 tagines, one that is 8 inches and one that is 12 inches. Any suggestions for some great recipes to get started?

asked by Sagegreen about 6 years ago

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

Two! Tell us more!

I really like Paula Wolfert's books, so if you don't have Couscous and other Good Food from Morocco, you should pick it up. Her Mediterranean Clay Pot Cooking: Traditional and Modern Recipes to Savor and Share also has some great recipes for tagines. The editing of Clay Pot Cooking wasn't perfect, so sometimes you have to guess about when an ingredient should be added--but the book is still worth having.

I agree with Greenstuff's Paula Wolfert recs. She is the Queen of the Tagine, and I love cooking in earthenware. But here's one recipe of my own http://www.food52.com/recipes... Thanks for reminding me that it's time to pull out the clay.

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

Make some preserved lemons right away. They're useful in Tagine cooking.

Also the Mark Bittman "no knead" bread bakes very well in a tagine.
Use the weight measurements for the dough. http://blog.khymos.org...
And sub1/8 to 1/4 tsp of dry yeast instead of the raw yeast mentioned--unless you have that on hand.

As for the couscous an alternative is "cauliflower couscous". Pulse the trimmed florets in a food processor until it resembles couscous. Then lightly sauteed with olive oil and a bit of stock, a touch of cumin and garlic. Don't overcook it and make mush---it should be a bit crunchy with just a bit of the raw edge cooked off.

D6706402 eb96 499d a671 b2e90db25df9  bike2

Wow, thanks! This is going to be exciting. My M'hamsa couscous also just arrived. Pierino's recipe looks great. I have the ingredients, too! I will check out Paula's books (I love to guess) and I think I need Bittman's no knead bread, too. I love cauliflower, too. This will get me out of my no cooking mood!

Sam, great suggestion on the "no knead" but please give credit where it's due. This bread was developed by Jim Lahey at Sullivan Street Bakery and not Bittman (who often takes credit for more than he should). And yes, you can make it in an earthenware tagine.

Sagegreen, the m'hamsa cousous is the standard I keep in my pantry. Paula Wolfert---who I love and respect---will tell you that it's easy to make by hand. It's not. Buy it in the jar.

For the 8 inch one. A Spanish tapas dish. Shrimp Ajillo is a good course of a meal.
You needs lots of olive oil tho.
Heat up the tagine in oven to warm it. Put in some oil, layer in paprika, shrimp, red pepper flakes, and some roasted peppers, garlic slices, paprika, and the shrimp. Cover with more oil until the shrimp is swimming in olive oil. Then bake about 15 mins until shrimp is ready and red. (Use pealed shrimp for this as it's quite messy to eat--but so good).
Serve with crusty bread and lemon wedges. In fact with a salad and veggie course or other small dishes it's a meal.

I do agree. Bittman did credit Jim Lahey in http://www.nytimes.com... but it's worth repeating.

And getting back to Clay Pot Cooking, I've made her Moroccan Fish Tagine with Tomatoes, Olives, and Preserved Lemons a couple of times. A big hit.

@pierino. Thanks, I do remember that credit somewhere back in my brain but yes, credit where it is due.

One thing about the no knead bread. I failed many time using cup measurements..as flours vary by region. Especially AP flour. Only when I used the weight, adjusting for "Gold Medal" AP flour at 135g/cup did I succeed. Going by cups with Gold Medal AP made a very soupy dough that never did come together correctly.

Great! Next week I am off to bread baking school at King Arthur. I will be asking lots of questions about flours and tagines.

Okay, story time. TWO? P.S. Paula Wolfert is a treasure.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Regarding the history of the 'no knead' bread, the book No Need to Knead, by Suzanne Dunaway (1999) has been referenced as the predecessor of the Leahy revolution.

Or even older, susan g. Here's a reference to a 1945 recipe : http://news.google.co.uk...

Just goes to show that there's nothing new under the sun.