🔕 🔔

I have oranges and I have miso caramel sauce. Do I have dessert?

I made the miso caramel sauce from this site (sugar, water, cream, miso). I was planning to use it as the base for a panna cotta, but my milk is bad. I have a bag of Cara Cara oranges and am looking for a way of using the oranges and caramel sauce. Most of the recipes I find online for caramelized oranges call for using orange juice in the caramel (too late) or at the very least just sugar and water and no cream. I am thinking of peeling and slicing the oranges and laying them on top of caramel sauce and roasting them for a bit. Any reactions to that plan? Other suggestions? This is for tonight but also for the future.

asked by LisaD 8 months ago

I would make a steamed marmalade sponge cake (check on line- Gordon Ramsey has a recipe... any British based chef). I would mix the miso caramel in with jam and/or use to flavour the cake batter. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream and fresh orange segments. I feel like there should be some grand marnier added somewhere too!

83b2f7bb 6d57 4b26 a96e f27f66b1e409  14355058 10103657439758468 7616383974552013464 n

Sounds to me like you have lots of dessert options! I've been all about oranges lately, and fresh slices drizzled in miso caramel, with a dollop of fresh whipped cream in a crepe sounds like a great dessert or brunch.

I am thinking ice cream, miso caramel and and candied oranges

293d95fd 52e1 46ad a2db e4854254ee22  image 1

Thanks all! Lots of great ideas here. I am particularly looking forward to trying my hand at a marmalade sponge cake. I was trying to work with what I had on hand, so what I did was peel and slice the oranges and shingle them in an oven dish with caramel drizzled on the bottom AND over the oranges. Also drizzled Grand Marnier. I then broiled them, which was moderately successful (I think my broiler element is dying). Everyone got a bowl with some orange slices, caramel from the pan spooned over, and whipped cream with Grand Marnier.