🔕 🔔

Making Italian Meat Pies for Easter,

Ingredients are baked ham, pepperoni, cooked sausage, basket cheese and eggs. they are baked with a top and bottom crust. I would like to bake them tomorrow and give them away next week including to someone next Friday night. They are fully baked and will be refrigerated. Is is okay to keep them a week before giving them away. Thank you

asked by Lucia from Madison about 2 months ago

added about 2 months ago

I wouldn't hold them for more than 2 days, or 3 at most, especially if the recipients might not be eating them on the day you give them the pies.
Why don't you prep all the components in advance a few days in advance and then assemble the pies closer to the time you'll be giving them away? If it's a pastry crust, you can make it tomorrow and freeze until a day or two before you need it. Or refrigerate it up to 3 days. Hope this helps.
What a lovely, generous gift, by the way. Your friends are so fortunate. ;o)

added about 1 month ago

AJ has answered your immediate practical question.
But/and the mention of Easter pie reminds me of Anita Sheldon's Torta di spinaci, also made for Easter/spring, which is fantastic. For now or another year. Eggs, ricotta, spinach, pastry. Good eaten hot or cold. Originally in NYT, later reprinted in Hesser book, Essential NYT Cookbook: Classic Recipes for a New Century.
This online version says it can stay 3 days in fridge (my notes said 5 days), or baked in freezer up to 2 months. Also good for gift-giving.
Her recipe and a few Italian ones, in case you are interested:
http://penandfork.com/cookbook...
https://www.google.ca/webhp...