🔕 🔔

No Power for over 7 hours...

Freak storm hit today and power went out at 9am. Still out 7 hours later. Checked fridge freezer and things seem frozen. It's a new fridge so not sure what to expect. Shopped Trader Joes frozen food yesterday and hope I don't lose it all. Any suggestions at how to know what's ok? Electricity still out but wonder how many hours mew fridge will keep food ok.

asked 4 months ago

If you keep the door closed and it was cold and full the food will last several hours, far more than you think. If you can get a few bags of ice you can throw them in and that will help. Dry ice too, but it isn't so easy to get.

3299dd0b a953 46f5 8a98 a0241f3b893a  256
MMH

I live in a place where this happens. Michele is right. It lasts way longer than you think it will especially if you resist the temptation to open the door. It insulates itself.for the future - . I know some people who keep a clear container of water in the freezer to use as a way to determine if things have melted.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Well, it's now 22 hours with no power and no estimate as to when it will be back on. No doubt today I will be emptying the fridge. :(
Thank you your replies.

Keep it closed and you should be okay for a few days. I lost very little during Superstorm Sandy because I didn't peek.

I'm tslking freezer here. Fridge won't last as long.

Thanks, Chef June! The fridge freezer stayed at 32 so lost very little. Garage freezer didn't fare as well. It's over 30 years old. Didn't have too much in it.
Power came on after 29 hours. Never had that experience before. I feel for anyone who has to endure a situation like this. I'm so grateful to the power company! Thanks to sll of you!

Thanks! I haven't touched the freezer so I'll wait. Fridge is starting to drip water from dispenser the ice is melting. Put a sponge down to absorb water. What a fun day! :)

Where are you located? If it was a winter storm and it is cold outside, you may be able to salvage the fridge stuff by putting it in a box or one of those large plastic storage units and sticking it in the snow.

Thanks but it's a spring storm, temps in 50's. We are in the Pacific Northwest.

Too bad. I hope you get your power back soon.

Today I'll be playing the home version of Chopped. See what's in pantry and make something meatless. I have quite a few things to use so this will be interesting. Pasta, beans, canned tomatoes, chilis, broths, canned vegetables.. thank goodness we have a gas cooktop. Turn a negative situation into something fun.

8bbfe648 dc7e 43f9 816b 4de4ae50eec7  photo
SMSF

SMSF is a trusted home cook.

For anyone's future reference, another way to check if your freezer food will still be good after a power outage: check your ice cube bin. If the cubes are still separate from each other, you're good to go. If they're stuck together, the freezer went over temperature long enough to at least partially melt the ice at some point.

Good tip! I've also heard if you're going to be away for a while, like on vacation, and worried about the power going out, you can freeze a water bottle (leave some room) on its side, then put it upright in the freezer. If when you come back and the water is frozen on the bottom part of the bottle, then the power was out for long enough to melt the ice. (you can also freeze it upright and leave it on its side, same deal)

In case you have a chest freezer or something else without the ice cube bin

The water bottle is an idea they use in hurricane states (friends do this)...leave space at the top, when the water is frozen place a penny or dime in the bottle on tip of the ice.
You will know if the power was out for a length of time if the coin is in the BOTTOM of the bottle.