🔕 🔔

turkey already in fridge

Hi. I bought my turkey yesterday at Whole Foods from their cooler, but upon getting it home, I felt it was closer to refrigerated than frozen and refreezing it seemed like a bad idea. It has a sell by date of the 28th. Will it stay fresh enough in my fridge until Thursday?

asked by lisadeal almost 5 years ago

8425a5f0 773c 4ccd b24e 9e75b44477a8  monita photo

It should be ok. Make sure it's in the coldest part of the fridge.

8e1a20a7 1500 40f0 ad58 818107a4b9ad  540434 3765129049943 1219987725 n

That should be fine! Just keep it in the fridge -- don't re-freeze it.

25438297 7c5f 449f 85c8 6d14e78bbcc4  susan.streit
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

You bet! An average turkey takes 2-3 days to thaw in the fridge before cooking anyway, and should generally be fresh up to a day past the sell-by date.

In agreement with the rest. It will keep and is safe. I will go one step further to say that it's actually kind of a good thing because most chefs (inclusion Thomas Keller) recommend putting your poultry in the refrigerator so that you get your skin to get a really nice crispy skin when you cook it so props! Just think about brining until Wednesday so you get a nice moist turkey to go with the crispy crust.