turkey already in fridge

Hi. I bought my turkey yesterday at Whole Foods from their cooler, but upon getting it home, I felt it was closer to refrigerated than frozen and refreezing it seemed like a bad idea. It has a sell by date of the 28th. Will it stay fresh enough in my fridge until Thursday?

• Posted by: lisadeal
  • November 19, 2012

Monita November 19, 2012

It should be ok. Make sure it's in the coldest part of the fridge.

Marian Bull
Marian Bull November 19, 2012

That should be fine! Just keep it in the fridge -- don't re-freeze it.

cratecooking
cratecooking November 19, 2012

You bet! An average turkey takes 2-3 days to thaw in the fridge before cooking anyway, and should generally be fresh up to a day past the sell-by date.

FutureChef
FutureChef November 19, 2012

In agreement with the rest. It will keep and is safe. I will go one step further to say that it's actually kind of a good thing because most chefs (inclusion Thomas Keller) recommend putting your poultry in the refrigerator so that you get your skin to get a really nice crispy skin when you cook it so props! Just think about brining until Wednesday so you get a nice moist turkey to go with the crispy crust.