turkey already in fridge

Hi. I bought my turkey yesterday at Whole Foods from their cooler, but upon getting it home, I felt it was closer to refrigerated than frozen and refreezing it seemed like a bad idea. It has a sell by date of the 28th. Will it stay fresh enough in my fridge until Thursday?

asked by lisadeal over 5 years ago

It should be ok. Make sure it's in the coldest part of the fridge.

Marian Bull

That should be fine! Just keep it in the fridge -- don't re-freeze it.

cratecooking
cratecooking

Susan is a Recipe Tester for Food52

You bet! An average turkey takes 2-3 days to thaw in the fridge before cooking anyway, and should generally be fresh up to a day past the sell-by date.

FutureChef

In agreement with the rest. It will keep and is safe. I will go one step further to say that it's actually kind of a good thing because most chefs (inclusion Thomas Keller) recommend putting your poultry in the refrigerator so that you get your skin to get a really nice crispy skin when you cook it so props! Just think about brining until Wednesday so you get a nice moist turkey to go with the crispy crust.