🔕 🔔

orange cardamom sugar cookies

I made these today, some spread all over the cookie tray and were thin, crisp and dark brown, others stayed round and cooked as they were. I ended up putting the raw dough in the freezer to firm before cooking which helped. Any ideas why this happened?

asked by Camay 6 months ago

F92231df 227e 4486 9cc8 279621ca1481  harvest party

I think a similar situation has been discussed before. The temperature of the butter (or other shortening) makes a big difference in how much the cookies spread. It is why many recipes have you chill the dough prior to baking. Also if it was unevenly mixed (my mixer does not get the bottom of the bowl very well mixed in so I watch for that) they could bake differently.

Ah, the recipe says mix butter and sugar until just combined, 30 seconds. I did that when normally I would mix considerably longer. I noticed patches of butter in the mix but ignored them. That would be it. Thank you

845e87bf 3d4b 4f8f 9d64 42f826b15818  image