I touched raw salmon and then put my finger in the brown sugar bag to spread on the salmon, is this safe?

I was spreading salt and pepper onto my raw salmon and brown sugar. I put my finger that had already touched the raw salmon into the brown sugar bag to scoop out some. Will this containment the sugar in the bag that made contact with my hands and lead to future stomach pains??

asked by Jennifer 11 months ago

June

Agree...on removing the touched sugar *if* this happened very recently. I would not stir to distribute because if the top granules were contaminated, the bacteria will probably not be static but will grow. Not a scientist...just my take.

caninechef

I agree, if you are worried I would remove the top. But since sugar is used to aid preservation and sugar itself is shelf stable -- there are other bacteria reaching your sugar besides those from your fishy finger-- I doubt there is an issue. If you had just touched the faucet would you be worried about the sugar? Probably not but probably a more likely source of contamination.

Alex McLeod

No. Don't worry. Sugar is hygroscopic. Bacteria cannot survive without water, so the sugar will be safe to use. That's why Honey is shelf stable. There are honeys that are safe to eat 1000s of years later.

Alex McLeod

I mean yes, obviously. Sorry. Misremembered the wording of the question.