🔕 🔔

What are your favorite recipes using fresh currants?

I've used them in various jams and jellies... anything else I should try?

asked by Jennifer St Clair 6 months ago

731da808 0ee6 4688 813c 05a2a7f1ca9b  16463817 10154453650334385 2720521257626860247 o

PieceofLayerCake is a trusted source on baking.

They work well in pretty much any recipe you can use a cranberry or blueberry in, I find. Instead of traditional dried currants in scones, try using fresh currants. I have a blueberry scone recipe in my profile that you could substitute currants in.

You could also make a compote with currants and possibly some fresh orange and spoon it over grilled pork or duck.

Also dairy dishes where you would mix in fruit...yogurt, ice cream, etc. See which color(s) you like best ...white, red, black...and if you want to add a bit of sugar.

We make German-style cakes and tarts with currants, as well as rote grutze which is a summer treat reminiscent of a jello-y dessert with a pudding component. You can google for recipes - mine are currently boxed up during our renovations, but many I got off the web anyway.

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

Muffins, coffee cakes.