wondering why recipes tend to use frozen spinach instead of fresh? is there some method to use fresh instead?

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen July 8, 2018

I think people use frozen spinach for convenience and price. Fresh spinach costs a bit more overall but I prefer fresh over frozen. Count on about 1 pound of fresh baby spinach to wilt down to about 10 ounces.

Randi Theobald
Randi Theobald July 8, 2018

You have to use a ton of fresh spinach to get the quantity of frozen ... the flavor is great if you buy a great organic frozen one (Earthbound Farms is one) ... just be certain to squeeze out the liquid ...

boulangere July 8, 2018

A potato ricer is a fabulous tool for squeezing the maximum amount of water out of spinach, frozen or fresh. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever riced a potato, but I've likely squeezed gallons of water from spinach over the years.

BerryBaby July 8, 2018

That’s a great idea! I usually use a sieve and push on the spinach with a paper towel. Your method sounds easier.😄

Sherry E
Sherry E July 9, 2018

ok, good idea loved everyone's thoughts thank you all so much

Exbruxelles
Exbruxelles July 12, 2018

Fantastic idea! I absolutely hate using the "clean dish towel" method, which doesn't work very well anyway.

MMH
MMH July 8, 2018

Ive also found that you can usually substitute just about any garden green that is available and double the amount which is called for in the recipe.

Voted the Best Reply!

Ttrockwood
Ttrockwood July 9, 2018

Basically cheaper and more accessible, also cuts out the steps of blanching and draining which can be a pain when using a large amount.
You could always swap in fresh- but note that it’s mature spinach not the common prewashed baby spinach you need to get the texture and flavor. Baby spinach will easily turn into green slime.

Sherry E
Sherry E July 9, 2018

never thought about that-- all answers great thank yoou