wondering why recipes tend to use frozen spinach instead of fresh? is there some method to use fresh instead?

asked by Sherry E 4 months ago

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I think people use frozen spinach for convenience and price. Fresh spinach costs a bit more overall but I prefer fresh over frozen. Count on about 1 pound of fresh baby spinach to wilt down to about 10 ounces.

Randi Theobald

You have to use a ton of fresh spinach to get the quantity of frozen ... the flavor is great if you buy a great organic frozen one (Earthbound Farms is one) ... just be certain to squeeze out the liquid ...

A potato ricer is a fabulous tool for squeezing the maximum amount of water out of spinach, frozen or fresh. In fact, I'm not sure I've ever riced a potato, but I've likely squeezed gallons of water from spinach over the years.

That’s a great idea! I usually use a sieve and push on the spinach with a paper towel. Your method sounds easier.😄

Sherry E

ok, good idea loved everyone's thoughts thank you all so much

Exbruxelles

Fantastic idea! I absolutely hate using the "clean dish towel" method, which doesn't work very well anyway.

MMH
MMH

Ive also found that you can usually substitute just about any garden green that is available and double the amount which is called for in the recipe.