German Recipe I think.

A very long time ago a college roommate used to make a savory pastry. I remember hard boiled eggs and chopped ham inside but that is about all the detail I can recall. Maybe parsley? I believe this was a German recipe as she had spent a semester there. I don’t remember the type of dough, typical tart maybe or puffed pastry? Dies this ring a bell with anyone? She made it log shape, rather like an apple strudel.

asked by caninechef about 1 year ago

Your description doesn't ring any bells, but you might look at recipes for Zwiebelkuchen--an onion-egg-cream-bacon mixture baked over a yeast dough. For starters: https://germanfoods.org...

caninechef

Thanks for reference but not very similar. This was a dry filling of chopped ham and sliced hard boiled eggs but I don't remember if anything else. It was strudel shaped. For all I know it was not German at all but something her mother had made up! Served with homemade mayo it was very good. I think of it as an Easter dish but again, maybe just because that is when she happened to make it.

I see some strudel recipes calling for spinach and a hard boiled eggs on Google, but I don't think these recipes are particularly German. Was the pastry truly a strudel dough or was it thicker and denser? You might look at some recipes for koulibiac, too.